• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

question about bta

hey
i got a bta tonight, it is pretty small which is exactly what i was looking for, and i was able to keep it far enough away from my frogspawn

here is my question, i put the bta on the same rock the frogspawn was on before i moved it. it found the hole in the rock and buried itself in the hole, and is closed up. is this normal because it is in a new tank or is this something i should worry about. its been in there about 2 hours or so, and typically when i put stuff in, after 2 hours it was starting to open up. i just worry because i want it to do well

there is no gross stuff coming out of it or anything, its just not opened up. it is a healthy bta and is sticky

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't worry about it just yet. That's normal for an anemone. It will probably walk around a bit until it finds a spot it likes.

he is still slowly moving around trying to find a spot. he is out of the hole and making his way over to the rock behind it.

hopefully he doesnt stay on the rock next to it because it would be next to impossible to see it because the rock in front of it is higher.

Mine moved to the back and split...cannot see either very well of course at least they are not carving a path of destruction either.

its moving again, i am not sure why. he was at his original spot for a while, now he is moving non stop. he is going to the back of the tank now. i wish he would have stayed where he was

ours has been in the tank for about 8 months, he went for a walk yesterday and of course stung another one of our corals. this is my second of two bubbletips, both seem to relocate periodically for no reason I can find (sigh).

youpey said:
its moving again, i am not sure why. he was at his original spot for a while, now he is moving non stop. he is going to the back of the tank now. i wish he would have stayed where he was

as mentioned, the bta will move until it finds an appropriate place that it prefers for light and water flow requirements. Some BTA's just won't stop until finding a spot it prefers. In case it splits, it means either one or two things, conditions are right for propagation OR it splits for self preservation. Give it a week or two and try not to move it around because it will stress it out more causing it to move again. Try not to feed it also, they need acclimation time