• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Question for the T5 experts

So I have 2 ai prime 16s on my tank. But there are some dark spots. I like the idea of hybrid lighting. But they seem to be pretty pricey and I'd probably buy more Leds before spending $400+ on the whole thing

Is it possible to make a DIY version? Like, if i went to home depot and bought the "housing" and used T5 bulbs, would that work? Or is there something special with the reef specific "housing" (not sure the real name of it)

D

Deleted member 27248

Some reflectiors are better than others...t5 is a t5...not sure what size your tank is...but id
Recommend getting a 6 bulb fixture off
Amazon, you can cut and modify if anyway you want...I would remove the 2 inside bulbs, cut that section of reflector out, and install the ai primes in that location.

So I have 2 ai prime 16s on my tank. But there are some dark spots. I like the idea of hybrid lighting. But they seem to be pretty pricey and I'd probably buy more Leds before spending $400+ on the whole thing

Is it possible to make a DIY version? Like, if i went to home depot and bought the "housing" and used T5 bulbs, would that work? Or is there something special with the reef specific "housing" (not sure the real name of it)

This is my "DIY" fixture. All resting across the canopy. 2 separate T5 units from Coralife, definitely helped eliminate shadowing.

20210326_220032.jpg

D

Deleted member 27248

This is Amazon aggrobrite t5 fixture...with two ebay blue LED bars.

Attachments

• 3CF6D98E-BB7F-47D4-887B-13FA3A21D384.png
    3CF6D98E-BB7F-47D4-887B-13FA3A21D384.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 5