• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Question - HELP !!!!!!!!!!

My tank was running really well for about 4 months then I got ick. So I started down the road of lowering the temp and SG in the tank to kill these guys. I also started the Kick Ick medication process. I believe I have put to much in at one time. Now my Nitrates are at the low end of the stress level aound 2.0 to 1.0 . The Nitrates had gone up also and now seem under control. I started a to do about a 20 gallon water change which lowered my NItrate to a safe level. My critters seem happier now. Its been a week since my last water change(Store bought premix ocean water). How do I go about fixing my Nitrites. Do I need to put some new live sand in the tank and let nature take its course or do another water change? How do I get the water bugs to come back also since it looks like they are all dead?????????? HELP !!!!!!!!!!

I'm no expert but it sounds like you will have to let nature take it course. Water changes will help keep the Nitrite level down. Something must have caused a spike in demand on the systen that the current load could not handle. I would just let it settle down, again, with water changes.

Good luck. If you have a good LFS you go to, ask them also.

How many gallons is your tank?You said you changed 20 gallons,but is that 10,20,or maybe 50%I don't know your profile has no size either .So I would do the same as tbird said.But one thing that I just thought by doing the water change I hope your slowly bring the sal. back up,or at least keeping ware you brought it down too.It and the temp should be down for at least 10-15 days then bring both back up slowly.

Well, this is what I did. I went got 10 punds of live sand and carefully spreaded it around the tank. Of which lowered the Nitrite and Nitrate levels to a safe level very quickly. Fish are happier than ever. Freaked them out at first but they calmed and everything seems to good..........
;D

Adding live sand to your tank will balance out your nitrate problems. If you're reading nitrite on a test kit, you have a problem. Nitrite is toxic to fish and can cause lots of stress even at low levels. Nitrite levels should be zero. By adding live sand, the readings will go down to zero. Phosphate levels should be at zero also. Having a live sand bed will also take care of your Ick problem.

C

concept3

hey....glad to see your tank is doing ok.

nitrites will eventually disappear as your tank matures. watch the feedings though, as it may spike your ammonia levels up which in turn breaks down to nitrites......

johnval said:
Adding live sand to your tank will balance out your nitrate problems. If you're reading nitrite on a test kit, you have a problem. Nitrite is toxic to fish and can cause lots of stress even at low levels. Nitrite levels should be zero. By adding live sand, the readings will go down to zero. Phosphate levels should be at zero also. Having a live sand bed will also take care of your Ick problem.

A Deep Sand Bed (DSB) will take care of high Nitrate values, However this will take a long time to take effect...... The best way to reduce high Nitrate values is to add a refugium with DSB to your system. The refugium should have an assortment of macroalgae which will absorb excess nutrients contributing to your Nitrate issue..... If you have Nitrite values greater that zero your tank is still cycling or you have experienced a major die off..... The only thing you can do in this case is to let your tank complete it's cycle.... A DSB will not get rid of this problem.......

As far as Ich........ There is nothing a DSB or Live Sand that will eliminate this problem. YOu need to quarenteen your fish for at least 4-6 weeks before placing into your display tank....... During this time you can medicate or use hyposalinity to insure no parasites are introduced to your tank.......

Once you have ich in your display I would remove all fish and treat with hyposalinity for 4 - 6 weeks before reintroducing to your tank..... Otherwise...... you will have issues..... Kick Ich has not been proven to eliminate ich from your tank.....

Good Luck......

;D

I agre with the Refuge it is the best way to go also i saw a WORLD of a diffrence when i added a UV Sterilizer to my tank loved it
Nick

nyfireman3097 said:
I agre with the Refuge it is the best way to go also i saw a WORLD of a diffrence when i added a UV Sterilizer to my tank loved it
Nick

What difference did you notice with the UV sterilizer? I have heard a lot of pros and cons about them....... For a reef tank I have read UV sterilizers may kill organisms needed to alow your reef to thrive..... I have read they are more useful for Fish Only Tanks..... However, they are not effective in ridding a tank of Ich.......

What has been your experience with UVs? What type do you have?

;D

I had heard the same thing when i started my tank then i had a small ick outbreack and infection on my kole tang then after seeing things progressing i said screw it and hooked a UV up and then in a couple of days everything was better and never had a problem with anything diring that would be needed to help a reef tank TONS of life with iit on
Nick