• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Question on fishing lines

hi,

my family and i are going to the bahamas for our vacation. a friend who lives there has arranged for us to go on a fishing trip where we'd catch then cook the fish. he wanted us to provide the fishing line that is good for about 5 lbs. i have never gone fishing before so i am clueless. can anyone recommend something that will do the job? I was planning on going to Dick's or Sports Authority, but if you can recommend a store, please let me know too.

thanks in advance!!

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Braided line is stronger and thinner than mono lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ok, thanks. so if i go to a store, i would ask for a braided line good for about 5 lbs? does that sound right?

ok, thanks. so if i go to a store, i would ask for a braided line good for about 5 lbs? does that sound right?
+1 to braided, Jun you can go to Walmart in the fishing section, get the 10 lbs just in case you catch a bigger fish.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Make sure you are allowed to use braided line. Some places require mono only. Not sure why though.

Agreed. Also figure out what kind of fishing you will be doing. If they are asking you to bring just line you may be "hand lining" and if that's the case you probably don't want braid. That stuff will cut you in a heartbeat with a fish on the end. I have the scars to prove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok, i'll check with him one more time for the type of line and what kind of fish we're catching. thanks everyone!!

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Jun, as a beginner I would tell you to stick to monofiliment, I agree that braid is stronger for a smaller diameter but that's where the advantage stops for me. You have to tie special knots with the braid not the simple fisherman's knot. It will cut you in an instant if you go to grab it to hold up your fish or something.
The sensitivity is awesome for bottom fishing but being that the line has very little stretch most times you will be swinging at a fish when they are just nibbling because you a feeling something that you wouldn't have felt with mono, you feel less with mono which allows beginners to wait till a fish commits to really eating your bait.
Good luck and have fun :)
Oh buy 15 or 20 lb test it will be good for most bottom fishing that's what I think you will be doing

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk