• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Quick phosphate reduction

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Howdy,

My phosphates have skyrocketed post dino slaying.

What's everyone's thoughts on some phosphguard in a bag to remove them? I'm registering roughly .5 ppm

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
i use phosguard exclusively since it’s less messy compared to gfo, just be careful with shocking your system with decreasing your po4 so fast. you’re better off doing it slowly in the course of a few weeks. also phosguard will alleviate your aluminum in your tank since it is an aluminum based po4 binder. some people don’t like that but it never has hurt anything in my tank and a water change after the use of phosguard usually brings it back down to acceptable levels

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
i use phosguard exclusively since it’s less messy compared to gfo, just be careful with shocking your system with decreasing your po4 so fast. you’re better off doing it slowly in the course of a few weeks. also phosguard will alleviate your aluminum in your tank since it is an aluminum based po4 binder. some people don’t like that but it never has hurt anything in my tank and a water change after the use of phosguard usually brings it back down to acceptable levels
Interesting I didn't know it elevated aluminum. Im trying to get rid of trace aluminum. Might have to skip this

Just be very careful man and try to do it slowly at least one month. I almost lost all my LPS like in one day Because of GF0 I have nine mushrooms that just melted And that was like three weeks ago thank God everything is coming back good now as my phosphate levels Are going back up