• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Random AC

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I get shocks occasionally when I touch my black box while maintaining the tank- I've tried using a meter grounded and get nothing- the culprits are either the heater, submersible led light or the return pump- I've ordered a new and heater- got to the point that I don't want to maintain the tank- hopefully I'll find out tomorrow

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I get shocks occasionally when I touch my black box while maintaining the tank- I've tried using a meter grounded and get nothing- the culprits are either the heater, submersible led light or the return pump- I've ordered a new and heater- got to the point that I don't want to maintain the tank- hopefully I'll find out tomorrow

It’s always the heater. Like BRS said you should just replace them every year.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I agree, probably the heater. I've been using titanium heaters with no controller with my apex. They were a little expensive, but they're the first heaters that I haven't had to replace every year. A ground probe on a gfci circuit may help you with being shocked...

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Unplugged the heater like @horseplay suggested. I keep the room at around 76- the tanks stay around 80 between the lights, pumps etc- the heater is a ceramic one. didn't think it could be the culprit when it's off most of the time- I got 16" rubber gloves and wear rubber soled shoes now lol

Salted

NJRC Member
I agree, probably the heater. I've been using titanium heaters with no controller with my apex. They were a little expensive, but they're the first heaters that I haven't had to replace every year. A ground probe on a gfci circuit may help you with being shocked...
Similar here. Got rid of my ehiems in favor of a pair of brs titanium heaters and an inkbird. This should ,make for a safer tank. I like 3 year warranty on the brs.
What is the "black box"?

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Similar here. Got rid of my ehiems in favor of a pair of brs titanium heaters and an inkbird. This should ,make for a safer tank. I like 3 year warranty on the brs.

What is the "black box"?
Black boxes are the cheap versions of a Vivaspectra 165w led- similar, just no bells and whistles- manual, no pre sets or timers

Salted

NJRC Member
Black boxes are the cheap versions of a Vivaspectra 165w led- similar, just no bells and whistles- manual, no pre sets or timers
Oh okay, that black box. So with one hand on your light and the other hand in the tank the hand in the tank gets buzzed, is that correct? If that's the case then the light should be suspect. Black box lights like the viparspectra grow coral just fine but the fall short in build quality. Cheaper materials and not sealed as well. Much more prone to corrosion.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
It's the other way around, my hand is in the tank and my arm will touch the light and gets buzzed. I even switched lights and cords

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Think I finally have it figured out- turned off the heater, replaced the lights and one power head- all that was left was the other wave and the return pump from the sump- unplugged the wave and tested- still got random ac- ordered a new pump-be here Tuesday- fish and the few corals seem fine for now- not much I can do in the mean time- I have other pumps for the sump, but only half the gph- I could switch it out and up the in tank flow- not sure if the fish/ coral would like that though