• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RAP- what to expect

Now that the first day of RAP is done and some of you have gone, what can I expect?
I'm fairly new to the hobby and don't have much of anything in terms of livestock yet, just a CUC in a 29 gal with 20high sump. It's all cycled and ready to go though. I want to put corals in there, I've heard that there's not usually fish at RAP and it's mostly corals. I'm on a frag budget here, I'm not interested in colonies for the whole high cost issues.
What sort of deals and merchandise were there?

It was a great time! Definitely some deals and steals.. also fun to see some hobby famous faces.

Most booths take card. Have a budget and an idea of what you're looking for before going in or you can get lost. It can be super overwhelming.

I should be there tomorrow as well

-Okay well some questions I have are what sorts of prices are out there on frags? I understand that there's going to be a variety, but for example are they mostly in the 5-15 range, 20-30, 50+ etc.
-And are they mostly expert level things, or are there some beginner level things as well?
-Are there any living things for sale other than corals? CUC members, fish?
-In your opinion, what were some of the better deals?

Thanks! I hope to go tomorrow but I'm not sure if with where I am in the hobby right now it's going to even be worth it.

Are the bags being mentioned the frag bags I saw on another thread? Is that something you had to pre order at all, or part of the membership or...

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
-Okay well some questions I have are what sorts of prices are out there on frags? I understand that there's going to be a variety, but for example are they mostly in the 5-15 range, 20-30, 50+ etc.
-And are they mostly expert level things, or are there some beginner level things as well?
-Are there any living things for sale other than corals? CUC members, fish?
-In your opinion, what were some of the better deals?

Thanks! I hope to go tomorrow but I'm not sure if with where I am in the hobby right now it's going to even be worth it.
There's everything from $10 frags to the most expensive. I saw an eclectus shroom for $1,350. I got some good deals. I got a 10 polyp frag of rainbow hornets for $20. Most vendors wanted $30 a polyp. I'd assume deals will be much better tomorrow but availability will be less. I'll be there at 11 since I have a few things to cross off the list still. Picked up buttkissers, rainbow Hornets, blue hornets, red Hornets, blond eyed bitches, Yoda and a nice unknown zoa today. Fun day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1. Are they mostly in the 5-15 range, 20-30, 50+ etc. ?

A. I would say there is a fair amount from 25+ although I did see a handful of 5-15 corals.

2. Are they mostly expert level things, or are there some beginner level things as well?

A. There are so many corals in all varying levels there it's overwhelming.

3. Are there any living things for sale other than corals? CUC members, fish?

Some booths did have fish for sale. I saw a few with some CUC. ACC I remember having snails (back middle area)

4. In your opinion, what were some of the better deals?

The "package deals" are the ones I went for on day 1. For example. '$100 for x amount of corals' Most of the vendors are also willing to work with you and if you see a few things you like, ask them to make a package deal for you.

Don't forget to visit our (NJRC) sponsor booths!

Reactions: Kai
Thanks @raccioppi83 and @jmags080307 maybe I'll stop by, I'm okay with limited selection if it means a lower price since I don't have anything specific in mind at this point anyway. I like zoas and palys so I'm hoping I might be able to find some little frags of them.

Get there around 11ish today and you should still some great stuff. Ask about buying multiple from vendors they may give you an extra discount if you buy more than 1 or 2. Your other option is to get there after lunch, selection will be less but vendors really want to move stuff so they don't have to transport it home. There were several choices for fish, but I would be careful of that unless you have QT setup.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Next year I think we should definitely get a nicer banner. I believe it is worth the money to invest in and it can be used year in and year out at whatever event we attend... Just a thought!
We had a nice huge stand up banner, did you see it? It was pretty crowded in our area

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Fish of hex is was right next to us !!!!

Lol.