• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RBTA ?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I got that RBTA from James and it will not attach to anything. Tried wedging it between rocks but would come out and float around at top of the tank. I secured it with a loose rubberband to a rock this mroning and just checked. The foot didn't take hold yet. I was going to slide the rock and nem in a stocking and tie it closed but wasn't sure if it would get enough flow, light and food. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

I would shut all pumps in the tank and let it sink or float. If it sinks it will grab onto something. If it floats, it should grab onto the glass. When it does grab onto something, turn the pumps on one at a time. It will move if it does not like the flow.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with Ricwilli, but would take it one step further. I am bothered by the condition of this RBTA. If it dies, it could take down the whole tank. So I would put it in a Tupperware container that is hanging in the tank. Now you have no flow for the RBTA, but can still keep the flow going in the tank. I would also put a rock in the Tupperware as well. If it survives, it will eventually make its way onto that rock. If it dies, it now won’t contaminate your tank.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Bad news. The nem managed to crawl out from the rubberband/rock and was sucked into my power head. Well you know the rest.

Guess a water change is due today.

Crap...as I was reading I thought Paul's idea was great. That guy was obviously infected with a bad case of ADD. We can try to get the other little guy out for you Mark.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
James,
Thanks for the offer but don't go crazy. I have 6 small GBTA that I can't get out tried twice and gave up. I will place small rocks and hope they move on them. Not sure why this RBTA didn't take to the rock. I have used the rubberband method before. They get upset but attach to the rock and walk away from it. This one just kept floating and never sank and guess didn't like my LR. LOL

Mark

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Did a six gallon water change todya just in case. All other inhabitants looked fine this morning and now but wanted to be safe.

Thats odd, I let my gbta & rbta float until they found a happy place. No problems. I agree that something was wrong to begin with.

mark - that stinks to hear.

I have a question for the anemone owners- how do you anemone-proof the powerheads? or do you just hope that they lock in a spot and not move anymore?

the owner of this pic below says she removes any "walker" clones and they are not kept in her display. Basically her clones either stay on the LR/island or if they move to the glass they get taken out. I'd love to add an anemone (just look at the photo below for inspiration) but am concerned about exactly what happened with mark.

RightDec2008.jpg

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Phil,
Normally they do stay on the rocks or sand. This one did get beat up and maybe its foot was damaged and couldn't hold on. Who knows. Usually the rubberband works and so do containers with many holes and rocks for the nem to attach. I have 7 nickel to quarter side GBTA. Anytime you want to come over and try to remove one from the rock you can have it. I tried 2x and gave up. One came off and used a container with rocks but it didn't survive.

mark

Think it is a genetic thing...I have two that have not moved and the one clone moved around like a gypsy.  So I guess that is what the author of the thread was talking about.

To nemproof a power head, I have heard of covering it with pantyhose (the powerhead not the nem) making a cage of plastic needlepoint mesh, to covering the powerhead with foam. I had a large roaming gbta chewed up also, not fun! My new smaller gbta stays in one place under a rock - maybe it heard about the other one! lol