• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RDSB / Refugia design/placement question

So, after about 2-3 years of struggling with my 46G DT I am breaking it down. I'm not able to keep the algae at bay and now it's completely overrun by dinoflagonates (spelling?) or something like it. Anyway, it's primary on the glass and some rocks, but even the nuisance macro is out of control. The point is, i'm building out my small 15G nano that has been running for 2 years and I wanted some advice.

I have an acrylic refug that I picked up years ago and I wanted to put it to use before I add all of my two fish and my corals to this 15g. The refugia and 15G tank will sit side-by-side as the self-built stand was not designed to maximize space. However, a 5gal bucket will sit in the stand as an ATO system.

Ideas:

1. upstream RDSB with about 6-8" of LS + plants and macro and the usual stuff like cuc and snails.

I would use a small maxi 1200, behind some rocks, to pump the water into the front of the refugia and from the back it would spill down with a very slight angle. The hope is to have a very very slight angle - does this matter?

The problem with this design is that my 36" 4xT5 light fixture would have to sit quite far from the water surface to account for the upstream design.

#2. downstream RDSB with 6-8" of LS + plants etc

This would again would the same small maxi 1200, but I would use another pump attached to the refugia to pump the water back into the DT. I could use another maxi 1200 type pump or my Eheim 1260 (very loud though..) external to feed back into the DT.

This design is better for lighting as the 36" 4xT5 will go over the entire setup at any height; however, heat is a concern here given that the room gets hot and we have another pump in the mix.

#3. downstream RDSB with 6-8" of LS + plants etc

This method would use the overflow I used on the 46G tank (single U tube) to drop the water to the refugia and then use the maxi 1200 or Eheim 1260 as a return to the DT.

I'm open to other suggestion as well. Thanks guys!

Below is a shot of how it might look doing an upstream design - lighting is currently from a single costco 7-8 LED flood bulb.

DSC02466-vi.jpg

Sorry guys, but I could not figure out how to edit the previous thread. I guess i've kinda of sold myself on the upstream approach, it just seems simplier that dealing with the stupid utube overflow or trusting 2 pumps to work properly w/o flooding.

Considering that the main tank is 15G..

1. Would the MJ1200 (295GPH) going through a BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor first, to the refugia, provide ample flow or would I need to run that seperately?
2. Would the flow be enough for the Tunze nano skimmer? It has never produced any skimmate in the DT - even picked up a new pump for it.
3. Would I be better off with a 6-8" DSB or just a second tank to add water volume and more LR?
4. Is a slight angle in the upstream -> downstream , maybe 1" to 1 1/2" drop, enough to keep the system running? enoughenoughsdf

Even with the reactor the MJ1200 should turn over the entire water 10-15 times an hour - so I'm guessing that should be OK considering the HOB filter is also running. I change the filter 1x a week so it is pretty nitrate-free, but I understand the risks.

Thanks!