• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Re: Need Help with AquaC EV skimmer

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is the unit new or used? what size skimmer and what pump do you have driving it?

I'm not up north, but I have one and may be able to troubleshoot with you.

Tazmaniancowboy

first i checked the pump. than i checked the water intake. nothing, all clean. than air intake and yes, it wac clogged. if I would tell you how many hours i have spent on that stupid skimmer in the last 4-5 days --- nobody would believe and all of you would have a good laugh. it is insane. but it is working now. it took me less than 2 minutes to check the air intake and clean it. thank you.

haha no problem, bubbles are made of air, pumps pump water, water intakes are for water. my logic was simple  ;D. glad i could help!

just curious:

what was it clogged with?
how did it get clogged to begin with?
how can you prevent this from happening again?

no idea how it happened. it looked like a sand or something similar. prevention? it will become a part of monthly cleaning ritual and nothing else. oh man, i had spent honestly 6 hrs looking for something else. i cleaned the water pump, cleaned the water intake. just never occurred to me about the air intake.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The air valve gets crusty occasionally from salt creep especially if there is any splash from the water outlet on the skimmer. I just unscrew it and run it under faucet water for a couple seconds to wash away the salt. Another thing to check is the water injector. Believe it or not mine has had little tiny snail shells in it quite often. Skimmate slows down a little and you really can't tell the difference until you clean the nozzle out. That nozzle just unscrews out at the intake elbow. Just another thing that can creep up on you so take the 2 minutes to check it also when you do the air valve.

Glad to hear you got it working, let me know if you have any more questions, I may be able to help.

Tazmaniancowboy

one thing you might be able to try to prevent things from getting in the air intake is a piece of tubing that runs out of your sump to a place where things can't get in. just an idea, not sure if it will work with this particular skimmer or not.

I used to have that skimmer too. Sometimes small bits of rock and/or snail shells, corals or grit get lodged in the injection spout. Make sure that stays clean as well.
-merv

thank you. i have learned my lesson the hard way and spent endless hours wondering what is wrong. it took you 5 minutes to answer my question and 2 minutes to clean.