• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Re sealing a tank

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Hello all, recently I bought a used 125 gallon tank with dual corner overflows and while filling it with water I noticed that there there was a leak halfway up one of the overflows. Now I realize that it’s really no big deal having the water leak into the overflow but after taking a look at the silicone on the rest of the tank I see it has a lot of jagged edges from years of glass scraping from the previous owner(s). I’m not sure how old the tank is but before I go putting that much water into my living room I’d like to make sure as best as I can that it doesn’t leak. Can anyone share any experiences they’ve had in scraping and resealing a tank? I’ve done plenty of handyman projects and have definitely used silicone in the past but using it around a tub is much different than in an aquarium. Any advise from experience is much appreciated.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
This covers what, how and why:

Thanks for the video Diana! I did watch a couple of videos and will watch this one also, I was just wondering if people had experience in this. I mostly would like to know if anybody had failed to completely seal it and why did it fail to seal.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have never done it but have read the glass must be free of old silicon, cleaned and dry before putting new silicone on. Need to ensure the silicone is pressed firmly against the glass and in the seam. They sell a tool to make this easier to perform. Good luck and keep us posted.

Spend the extra time to tape the edges to define where you want the silicone to end. May take a few to get it in, but the clean edge you get afterwards is worth it.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Spend the extra time to tape the edges to define where you want the silicone to end. May take a few to get it in, but the clean edge you get afterwards is worth it.
I have never done it but have read the glass must be free of old silicon, cleaned and dry before putting new silicone on. Need to ensure the silicone is pressed firmly against the glass and in the seam. They sell a tool to make this easier to perform. Good luck and keep us posted.
Yeah I’ve seen the tool. I’ve always used my finger (tip-dip your finger in dish soap before spreading it and the silicone won’t stick to your finger) or used a sponge to smooth it out.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Yes definitely going to spend the time and tape for clean edges.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
You can see how much crud is underneath the silicone. It’s definitely best I reseal it. Will be working on cleaning it up this week.

Attachments

• 3A2DE0E4-F2C6-4680-87EF-F5E31DE9515C.jpeg
    3A2DE0E4-F2C6-4680-87EF-F5E31DE9515C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
I have done this several times. It really isn't that hard. I see people have given you solid advice including a video. So I would imagine your fine. However if you would like to talk about any questions you may have. Feel free to PM me and I’ll send you my cell number.

And I have never had a seam fail. I am presently running a 400 gallon system utilizing six tanks plumbed together all resealed. I have never had a leak. And a couple of the tanks are at least 30 years old