• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

recommendation corals for beginners of Nano 24g?

malulu

NJRC Member
My co-work is interested to get a ALL-IN-ONE 24g Nano tank, with T5 light.

he would like to know which kind/type of corals he should get? (ofcourse not now, once the tank is cycled and matured later on)...

he want something:
- pretty
- slow grow
- low maintenance

i would say:
- Zoas
- mushroom (some grow fast - not sure about this one)
- some type of sps??

thx for helping...

malulu

NJRC Member
aren't those will grow fast?
(in order) frogspawn, bta, shrooms, zoa...

my co-worker just want something that put it there, looks nice, and required less work!

this is his ex-tank www.happyreward.com - pls click for more pictures
newtank3.jpg

he did it all from scratch by himself, have it for about 6 months, then sold it all due to too much work required to trim the plants...
;D

after 6 more months, he now thinking to get a salt water tank that *may* possibly required less work... he is a very responsible person, he would do it right, not a rush person... he just trying to be LAZY...
;)

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would recommend he stay away from frilly mushrooms, GSP's and button polyps. They killed my nano. Grew too fast and killed everything pretty.

He may want to try some nicely colored lobo's, plates, favias, platygyras or welsi's. They are all fairly hardy and pretty slow growers.

malulu said:
aren't those will grow fast?
(in order) frogspawn, bta, shrooms, zoa...

my co-worker just want something that put it there, looks nice, and required less work!

this is his ex-tank www.happyreward.com - pls click for more pictures
newtank3.jpg

he did it all from scratch by himself, have it for about 6 months, then sold it all due to too much work required to trim the plants...
;D

after 6 more months, he now thinking to get a salt water tank that *may* possibly required less work... he is a very responsible person, he would do it right, not a rush person... he just trying to be LAZY...
;)

Tell him that salt water and reef tank specially is NOT for him. If keeping FW tank was too much work for him then SW is definitively not for him. Just cleaning the salt creep from that stand and the wals behind will drive him nuts (not to mention that it will ruin the stand) if trimming the plants once in a while was a problem.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have to agree here...If he didn't like trimming plants, wait until he has to scrape coralline algae...do top off...etc etc...

I do have to say, that's a BEAUTIFUL freshwater tank!

ReefDrumz said:
I do have to say, that's a BEAUTIFUL freshwater tank!

It is VERY beautifull. You should see my FW tank - I haven't changed water or fed my fish (tons of guppies, mollies, platis etc) or trimmed plants for years. It is jungle inside. Talk about being lazy ;D

malulu

NJRC Member
yeah, agree it is a very pretty FW tank, the purpose of posting his FW tank is showing he is a responsible individual... and i am going to forward him this thread so he can decided what to do next...

the biggest of his *problem* is:
- he is single
- young (25 something - guessing)

if he is not busy on the fish tank, what else will he do? ;D

that is why he is thinking to get a SW tank (he is bored), i am sure he is well aware of the works he *may" need to do...
;D

Depends on your lighting...but...as a general rule of thumb.

Zoo's are cool and work under most lights. Shrooms are real nice too. Stay away from the frilly's like was said. Rics are gorgeous and a great choice in my opinion BUT can grow fast and split alot under the right conditions. Depending on the lights you can get away with some LPS like Pagoda Cups, Candy Cane. Some brain coral would be a nice addition as well. SPS would be ok depending on the lights.

Stay away from:

Star Polyps
Sea Mat
Xenia
Colt Coral

These are some types that i had in my old reef that just grew like WEEDS. Especially the Star Polyps and Xenia.

Frogspawn, Trumpet, Galaxia <very cool looking under moonlights> shrooms, zoos, finger leather, devils finger.

I think all of these are real easy to care for and hardy <some might disagree on the galaxia but I have great sucess with it in a nano>

malulu

NJRC Member
easy care is one of the key, the other key would be slow grow...
:)

Frogspawn, Zoos, leather, devils finger probably grow pretty fast.

these are slow grow, but could be too big for a nano over time? Pagoda Cups, lobo

Trumpet, Galaxia, favias, lobo, platygyras, wellsi are good candidates.

thanks all for the advise.

salt water tanks are not to be started if u have the attitude that u dont want to do much maintenance...between the salt creep on the lid and tank, algea growin on the glass and continual cleaing of power heads..this hobby is not for the lazy and if u become lazy then ur not goin to have an attactive tank to show off....

other then that here are my recommendations of easy coral:

zoos
mushrooms
yellow polyps

depending on how much watts ur fixture puts out is where u are limited

i have 130 watts which gives me lil more then 6 watts per gal..

with that u can stock

leathers
colts
stony frags

experiment....

Torn between the super job he did on the FW tank and being lazy.
I have 24g and you have to be really strict on water changes, unless he plumbs a big skimmer that is a major consideration. Plus your scraping and testing and supplementing.
Arrrgggg
But for sure he can easily keep candy cane ..slow and not agressive, zoas small at least, other LPS would be good and some mushrooms.  Skip the GSP unless you really like them.  Frogspawn can get pretty large in a 24G tank fast.  I have green leather that has doubled at least in size since the frag swap ... that would be less invasive though then the frogspawn or GSP.  I saw one really cool nano tank that was all zoas every rock was covered by them and they would at least be somewhat compatable. 

Well if he does as well with salt as FW and gives up at least you can poach his corals.  ;)

This thread started June 07 and was recently revived but after reading it I'm curious...David, what did he ever decide to do?

malulu

NJRC Member
he is VERY busy at work...
this is putting on his back burner... I don't think he would go for it after all.
thank you all for the comments.
reefitup said:
This thread started June 07 and was recently revived but after reading it I'm curious...David, what did he ever decide to do?