• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

red algae

cant seem to get rid of it.
cleaned my rocks. added even more flow. nitrates are at .5 tank is 150 gal. RR with sump. I run carbon and phosban changing every 1 1/2 weeks. cal.430. mag 1400. kh 10.
pH 8.4 phos. 0 but we all know that's almost impossible to detect with these test kits.
Tank is 3 1/2 years old. I do regular water changes (really) Rodi water with neomarine salt. fish are very healthy. lost all my acros. although I started some caps again also some Monty's which are encrusting nicely. the algae blows off easily with turkey baster but keeps coming back within 2-3 days. appreciate any ideas. thanks.
Oh. I thought of one more thing. the lights. 3 150 watt halides I changed 5 weeks ago. however the atinics are 10 month old square pin pc's could these be the only cause of my woes?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Sounds like you have cyano which is actually a bacteria but is still a PITA. Usually is the response of too much nutrients in the system.

Could be the old lights. Prob just too much nutri like taz said. I'd say phos for sure. Test your ro for tds, then if its 0 do a bunch of water changes over the next month and keep syphoning out or blowing off whatever you can. if your running any pads or socks id toss them as they never help with cynao

Thanks Taz that was helpful. also RC thread was helpful. bought a bottle of microbe-lift speacial blend and am dosing the maintainence dosage. P.U.

Over the past 2 years, I had 2 outbreaks and both were rookie mistakes. What worked for me, 50% water change and PURA COMPLETE.