• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red bug treatment and info

Merv Rubiano said:
JerseyWendy said:
And how do I shut the air supply off the skimmer? ???

PS. Currently I'm using Chemi pure, which I'll be removing, of course. It's only 4 weeks old, so could I reuse it after treating?

What kind of skimmer? Most skimmers have a tube that lets air in. you can just plug that up or turn the valve if you have one.

I have an NW-200 Octopus Skimmer. It has a tube and a silencer that attaches to the tube. Should I just plug up the silencer, or remove it and plug the tube closed?

---
Wendy
Chemipure can be recharged in a hypo or hypersaline solution (I forget)- Just "recharge" the media, that'll kill any parasites too anyways

goodluck wendy... I have also followed Mervs instruction and I think it was 2 yrs ago that I called him and ask for help about it... It works but the major trick to it is always dip your corals... thanks

C

concept3

Here's the trap that Phyl was talking about :)

Merv Rubiano said:
yeppers. so, I re-read that post and I got a little confused myself even though I built it again for the umpteenth time!

So, without further ado:

I hope the pics tell the story better!

fishtrap2.jpg

fishtrap.jpg

fishtrap1.jpg

Wendy,
I have Interceptor here if you need a pill, call me if you need help, I won the battle against red bugs by following some advise on RC, doing the recommended treatment didn't work for me after 3 times, so I did a little more research and found one that worked, and yes you still use Interceptor just a higher amount and longer period in the tank.

Thank you all very, VERY much.

In the meantime I picked up the Interceptor, went to the pet shop and purchased LOTS of carbon, and they lent me an Eclipse Tank for the inverts that I'll hopefully be able to catch (starting tonight).

Tom, your phone should ring momentarily. ;)

---
Wendy

Oh, and I'm also in the process of making more salt water.

Progress Report:

Managed to set up the Eclypse last night with heater, power head, and 2 small rocks from my fuge. I used 3/4 of display water to fill and filled the rest with premixed saltwater.

Made the trap.

Critters caught by either hand and/or trap:
Cleaner Shrimp (he was easy, he came right on my hand)
5 Hermit Crabs
Emerald Crab
1 Peppermint Shrimp

AND 1 astronormous bristleworm, too.

Tonight's the night!

---
Wendy

jazzsam said:
Good luck!

Thanks a million. I need it, too.
I'll keep you all updated as I go along.

Tonight's definitely the night the Interceptor is going in. I am quite nervoes.

I've also managed to pull out 2 more hermits.

---
Wendy

Ok........ I guess I should NEVER have posted in this thread! I was looking at one of my frags today and guess what I found!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not see it on anything else. I removed the frag fast. Could it have only been on the one or will it spread no matter what?

jazzsam said:
Ok........ I guess I should NEVER have posted in this thread! I was looking at one of my frags today and guess what I found!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not see it on anything else. I removed the frag fast. Could it have only been on the one or will it spread no matter what?

Are you serious? You've got them, too now? :eek: I am so sorry.

Well, my first treatment is done. I dosed with just a little under 1/2 pill last night. Removed all carbon, filter sock, and placed the tubing of the skimmer in the sump, but left it running.
Interceptor went in at 6:00PM and I didn't do a water change until 8:00AM this morning. Placed fresh carbon in the sump, redid the skimmer and put filter sock back on.

Before I post some pictures, Steve (Pnoy), I guess you warned me a month ago already, didn't you? You had told me that my Purple Nana didn't look quite right to you. Well, I guess you were right on the money! Should have looked much closer then. :-[

Ok, these pics were done without the tripod. I'll take some more later with the tripod (it's in my son's room ,and he's sleeping)

AFTER first treatment

Acropora Samoensis
AcroporaSamoensis11-10-072.jpg

AcroporaSamoensis11-10-073.jpg

Purple Nana
PurpleNana11-10-071.jpg

Thank you all very, very much again. :) I'll be doing the second treatment in a week.
---
Wendy

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LPS should be unaffected. The only corals that should be affected/infested would be Acroporas. None of the other corals would host, and as long as your system is fallow of acros redbugs will not have a place to host and will die within a week.

malulu

NJRC Member
i am planing to treat the tank by disconnect my refugium and sump.
wait 2 weeks, if the red-bug still there, i will then treat the whole system. (trying to save the pods in my refugium if possible).

J

jmckdvm

Does anyone need Interceptor?

I can obtain Interceptor if enough people are interested. I need to by cartons of 10-packs, (6 tablets per pack), so I would need to wait until 7 or 8 people are interested before ordering. (There are a few people on the list already). If you would like to be put on a 'waiting list' please contact me at: jmckdvm@bellatlantic.net

Dr. Jim