• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea Max S Series

Has anyone had experience with these systems? I am considering the 500, but have reservations about the lighting system, the ability to customize it down the road, and it's energy consumption. Any feedback is appreciated!

I briefly considered that tank before I saw the $tag. The lights, in theory should support anything you want but I can't speak to the quality of the reflectors. I have an 8bulb Tek on my 90 and can have some SPS near the bottom of my tank that why I say in theory it should be fine.
Have you considered just building your own system I think you could almost definitely build better for cheaper.

yes, that's actually where I am now in the process. Trying to decide between building a system or purchasing the Red Sea. The problem I have with building a system is my lack of pluming and electrical skill. I'm the type that struggles changing light bulbs...

I feel your reservation at plumbing and electrical. If you can plug something in the youve got all the electrical skill required. As to plumbing there are enough people here to talk you through it. Before this hobby I have never plumbed anything before and everyone hear is happy to talk you through it. It can literally be a simple or complex as you like.
I believe the Hidden Reef out in Levittown, PA has that tank on display. The store is great but take what they say with a grain of salt, they are salespeople first and formost. Jason seems to be the most knowledgeable there but even he has told me things that simply arent true to sell something that they carry.

I ran an RSM 130D, it was a nice tank for an AIO, but if I was doing something larger I would definitely piece it together myself.

For the price you can find a nice setup and with the members here I'm sure we can lend a hand.

Thanks for your help, is there a good spot for me to post for suggestions on a designing a new aquarium? Also, what do you think a good budget is for a 100ish gallon setup? I'd like to include a sump, decent lighting, skimmer, space for reactors if needed, chiller/heater, real reef rock and dry sand, maybe a control panel and auto top off.

120g 48 x 24 x 24 - Tank/stand used: probably $400-$500 total
Sump: buy a 40g breeder from petco $40, bffles + silicone probably another $30 so $70 total
Lighting: T5 or halides or led? I am selling an ATi 48" light now if interested, but probably anywhere from $400 - $800 depending which
Skimmer - $200 - $400 used/new
Reactors: $80 from BRS
heaters: $60
reef rock: ultimate corals has I think $2lb
Controller: $150 - $400
ATO: $30 - $100

Now if you buy the items used and take your time piecing it together you can probably save on most items.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Tropiquarium has the 120 gallon version setup in their store if you want to see one running. I was quite impressed with the overall build quality and the components.

I started with all AIO systems because I like you am not mechanically inclined. However, I got away from that and have a bigger system setup. Now I hired someone to do the plumbing which I was way to scared to plumb a 400g system in my brand new house. Ethan from AO is a wizard with plumbing. Good luck and keep asking questions.

Overall if you build it yourself, you will probably spend a lot less than the AIO system.

thanks all, I posted another thread outlining what I am looking for in an aquarium and it's design. Hopefully I can get a design together and price it out to compare to the Red Sea.