• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea RSK skimmers thoughts?

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
hey all, does anyone have one of those new red sea skimmers yet? I'm thinking about the rsk300, but doing more research to see if it's worth it. I currently have an icecap k2 120 on my 50g. any advice appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just bought a RSK600 in operation for a week. It hums (AC pump) not loud. Flat out violent when it kicks on(maybe I'm too used to soft start DC pumps) It will vibrate if it touches other things. Does have a suction sound that can be tamed with a couple of small pieces of air line off the stock silencer. The cup is large but is hard to remove once installed(good thing it has a drain)
Feels plasticky cheap compared to an Acrylic built skimmer.

On the plus side:
The drain hose is great.
Cup size, great.
Adjustment, great.
Neck wiper, awesome.
Screws for body are course and remove quickly for maintenance.
Price is reasonable for features and performance.
I do not doubt its performance. Pulls 23 watts(Apex can be off by couple watts high or low) Measured airflow is accurate.
I think the only reason this is pulling skim on my current tank Reefer 450 (skimmer oversized, just bought larger tank) is the neck wiper splitting the throat in 2. So instead of 4 inch
hole its 2- 2 inch holes. Sometimes just one side or the other producing foam(low bio load).
If I stir the sand, the tank clears in 20 minutes or so and it foams both sides.

Holds its adjustment well. Has not gone crazy overflowing.

That being said unless you want the features the 300 offers your current skimmer is a good match to your tank.
If you plan to upgrade your tank, the 300 may also have you covered.

Good luck!