• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

red slime elimination tips?

Looking for some tips on eliminating red slime. I don't have a lot yet and have stopped using Rods because I believe that's the source. Any suggestions on how to eliminate what's already in the tank? thx.

Blow it off with a turkey blaster, let your skimmer and sump take it out. Find what the cause is, water parameters, excess feeding ect. Water flow is a big one, you may want to increase it. All else fails, Red Slime Remover works and is reef safe.
GregH

Too much nutrients in the water like Whitebird said. Increasing flow helps because it doesn't give the slime a place to attach, but it also masks the problem and it may creep up in other ways.

Thanks all. Guess it's time to drop in the other vortech. Have 2 but was hoping to get by with just one on the one end of the 4' tank because the other end gets viewed a lot.

I had red slim outbreak twice due to excess feeding and lack of water change. I did 3 days light out and work every time.

I cut back the lighting a bit and did a few extra water changes. I wouldn't trust the 3 day lights out I have way too many coral

I had red slime off and on for years couldn't figure it out. Then I realized that I had a metal clamp on a hose that was in my sump and with water level at different levels clamp was sometimes in the water. Duh... :-\ when I removed it no more red slime. ;)

Lisa said:
I had red slime off and on for years couldn't figure it out. Then I realized that I had a metal clamp on a hose that was in my sump and with water level at different levels clamp was sometimes in the water. Duh... :-\ when I removed it no more red slime. ;)

I had really bad red slime . I switched salt from reef crystals to TMP and it was gone in 2 water changes