• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Redoing Reef rock structure

Hey everyone,

well, I tore my tank apart looking for a Sinularia frag, no sign of it, but I believe it's in there still, just buried under the sand, as I believe my pistol shrimp swiped it. I don't know if ate it, of just didn't like it on the rock it was on, but it's still missing. Well, in the process I ripped my reef apart and need to rescape ir. My wife says she likes it the way it is, with the rocks just laying around. Said it looked more like a reef to her, but I don't like it this way and hope to do it over this weekend.

Anyway, need some ideas of how to aquascape it. I will be adding 60+ lbs of L/R soon, so whatever I do, it needs to incorporate that too. Any ideas on the best way to stack l/r so that it gets maximum flow through and looks great. Please post some pics of how your l/r is stacked.

Edwin - always trying to improve on things.

Is the new rock going to be nice colorful display pieces? If so I would set up the current rock as a base for the new rock. Maybe set it up in two piles on either side of the tank. This will give you a base to make a rather nice arch going from one pile to the other with your new rock.

Hard to say without seeing the rock. If it's anything like the rock I got from that same group buy, you have some opportunities to really do some cool stuff. I got some pieces that look like towers, and was able to make a really cool arch in my 30 gallon.

But when it all comes down to it, I'd say that you have to have the rock in front of you.

What I did was lay out a giant piece of plastic, and I pulled the rock out of the tub after one final scrubbing and laid it on the plastic. The reason I used the plastic was (obviously to keep the carpet as dry as possible) but also to allow me to continue to pour small cups of water on it just in case I had it out of the tank longer than I wanted to. Doing this let me lay it out on the plastic first and see what it would look like together, then I transferred the pieces into the tank, leaving enough empty air in the tank to allow for displacement (which I forgot about my first time around and had to clean up some "splooshes").

Just a thought.

I definitely be incorporating the rock from the GB in the new formation. Don't know when the rock will be ready, still curing. In any event, I can leave it this way, just make sure I have all my corals where they can get sufficient lighting and flow. I have some nice pieces already, some I got from MrKrabbs last year. I have one piece that about a foot long and about 9 inches across, if not more. It's arched, really nice piece, I could use that, but I don't have anymore flat pieces I can make another arch out of. Will have to do a layout like you did mfisher. I'm just ready to set things back up, don't like what my tank looks like now. Have have any pics of your tanks?

Edwin

Hey Edwin, here are some pics of my 55 and my 30. Hopefully soon to be combined in one 90.

55full.jpg

30full.jpg

And here is an updated pic of the 30 gallon with some more rock on the left hand side:

30gallon.jpg

Mfisher, I had my 90 set up like the first pic, I liked it that way. But, the wife wants me to change it, so maybe the second pic would be better, more acceptable for her. I plan on getting a bigger tank soon, so this maybe short lived, but I can just transfer the same pattern to the new tank. I will have over 150 lbs of l/r in my 90 once the gb l/r cures, closer to 170+. That's a lot of rock. So, I need to make sure I can fit it all in, neatly (wife). So, maybe the 2 or 3 towers with arches will work best. Thanks anyway for the pics. They did come in handy,

hey how do you like the hydro?

revclyburn

The Hydor is awesome! I can see the difference between it and the Tunze nanostream. The Hydor moves water at least 25% further across the tank, and has a wider dispersal than the Tunze. The Tunze is much more directed.

I will be putting Another Hydor in my 90 when it is up and running. No second guesses at all. I think they are worth twice the price (shh, don't tell any retailers I said that! ;D )