• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef brights

Could adding reefbrights as a day/night lite cause a spike in diatoms? I have been running 2 400watt m/h and 2 t-5's for years with no problems but at night I would leave dark. I wanted to add some night light so i put this reefbrite on and about 4 days later im getting diatoms??

from what i understand they are 3 watt leds being run at lower amps. almost equivelant to 2 watts.. not sure on the exact or correct terminology to properly explain that, i'm sure someone will chime in. i have them and shut them off when i go to bed, i wouldn't leave them on all night. make sure you keep a fan on the power supply, mine just melted last night, and the lights aren't working. and they were being somewhat ventilated. i haven't heard of this happening, and i read every review i could find on these... and from what i gather it's an isolated incident (just my luck) i'm hoping the lfs i got them at will be able to assist in the warranty process. (i hope there is a warranty) but based on how they make my tank look, i am a huge fan (if i can get the unit replaced in a timely fashion)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
so its safe to leave the tank dark at night?

Absolutely, we have been doing it for years. Moonlights at first were just for the reefers benefit of checking out your tank at night. As time went on, people realized that with breeding fish that moonlights could be important in that aspect and that for some species of fish they are essentialy. Our 45g cube and the 20g before that have had the same lighting system which has no moonlights at all. Our 30g never had moonlights, only halides, and when we did add moonlights they were too bright and the fish did not sleep which led to a nasty fight and dead fish.

Sweet thanks for the help. I think me putting a power head lower in the tank also dug some of he crud up from the bottom which probably helped he detritus grow.