• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef Flux treatment of Bryopsis

Bot587

NJRC Member
Ok, so after waging a small battle against Bryopsis over the last 3 months, I have decided to use Reef Flux to treat it. Now, just to be clear, I am by no means taken over by Bryopsis and the amount I have is relatively minimal. With this said, the Bryopsis went from being in one location (near my favia - no impact to growth of the coral) to being in three locations (near some zoanthids as well as localized area in the sand bed). Furthermore, I can see the "grass beginnings" in two other places in the aquarium.

A small segue about myself. I am a chemist who works in analytical development and validation of test methods for small molecule pharmaceutical products. I have ten years of experience the the field of chemistry (many of which were at larger pharma). This spiel is more so to give a baseline as to my understanding of performing an experiment, documentation, as well as reporting. Furthermore, I have been in the hobby since I was 12 and saltwater/reefs since I was 17. This setup was started 1.5 years before the birth of my daughter (she is now 14 months old, knows how old she is, and firmly believes everyone else is one as well). However, during my wife's pregnancy and I jumped back into the hobby and cleaned it up. Therefore the setup is over 2 years old, but really it has had true reef husbandry for only about 18 of those months.

Without further ado... Let's begin with some numbers, livestock, and pictures (definitely not a photographer - I need to figure out how to add these).
Tank: 75 gallon
Sump: 29 gallon (filled to 15 gallons)
Approximate volume of water: 80 gallons

T=0 (Day 0)
Specific Gravity: 1.026
Temperature: 79.0 +/- 1.0 F
Alkalinity: 8.3 dkh
Calcium: 420 ppm
Magnesium: 1350 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Phosphate: 0.01
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0

Livestock:
1 Green Hammer Coral
1 Toxic Splatter Hammer
1 Sublime Frogspawn
3 Cyphastrea
2 red montipora caps
1 seasons greeting montipora
1 tyree undata montipora (green)
1 tyree undata montipora (red)
1 mystic sunset montipora
1 ORA Green Birdsnest
2 WWC Birdsnest Corals
Multiple varieties of zoanthids (haunted forest and rasta are probably the most rare)
Green Star Polyps
1 Umbrella Toadstool Leather (white polyp)
1 Finger Leather (green polyp)
1 green candy cane (6-8 heads)
1 bullseye candy cane (3 heads)
1 trumpet candy cane (1 head)
3 Acan lord colonies (orange, orange/green, and blue/green)
Mushroom
Orange Rock Flower anemone
Green Favia
Pink Goniopora

Yellow Eye Kole Tang
2 True Percula Clownfish
1 six line wrasse
2 scarlet cleaner shrimp
1 fighting conch
blue leg and scarlet leg hermits
nasarius, trochus, astrea, and turbo snails

radiata

NJRC Member
I just wiped out my bryopsis in less than 7 days with Flux. I have yet to see any problems with the cure.