• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef Frenzy dosing

So I tried feeding my 65 gallon mixed reef tank “reef frenzy” on Saturday. I used approximately 3 “coral feeder” of reef frenzy to feed my meat coral and other lps coral. (Pic of coral feeder attached). After feeding my tank I let it sit for about an hour and turned everything back on. As expected my skimmer went crazy and I unplugged it. In the morning I plugged my skimmer back in and it was fine.

Than I tested my phosphates and they read 1.3 with my hannnah checker. This is about an .05-.06 spike in my phosphates. I regularly my phosphates 2-3 times a week, and they usually read anywhere from .07-.08 on any given day. On Monday I checked my phosphates and they were still 1.3 and just now I checked my phosphates and they are still reading 1-3. It’s been four days since one single feeding and my phosphates have not dropped. To help reduce phosphates I use rowaphos and Chemipure elite in my sump and change them out at the beginning of every month.

In the past, I’ve lost some nice pieces of coral due to phosphate spikes and am unsure if I should dose reef frenzy again.

Once a week I do a 10% water change, I dose calcium and alkalinity daily and I also dose reef energy about four times a week and never have any side effect from this.

I would live to hear your thoughts regarding this.
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6

horseplay

NJRC Member
Phosphate going from 0.07 to 1.3? That’s a huge jump. I feed LRS all the time liberally and never experienced this. I would suspect testing error.

I’ve tested three times, did a 10% water change, changed my filter sock on Monday and nothing has changed. Because I’ve got the same reading three times im not sure it’s a testing error

Last edited:

horseplay

NJRC Member
Hmm it’s a good size tank so unless you have dumped half a lb of reef frenzy it’s just not possible. Maybe find someone close by to test for you.

Horseplay, your were correct. It was a testing error. I just retested it and it’s now .07 which is where it usually is.

One more question. Does your skimmer always go crazy after dosing reef frenzy? Or does your tank somehow get used to it?

horseplay

NJRC Member
No my skimmer is normal. I do have a filter sock which might be a factor. On top of the reef frenzy I usually add a few scoops of reef chili or reef roid so the tank is full of particles. I don’t think my skimmer is sensitive to particles. I don’t turn it off either.

Reactions: Jon
Interesting. Maybe my skimmer is just a little more sensitive. Whatever the case, I can live with turning it off overnight for a short while. Thanks