• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef Moonshiners

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I know a few people here are using the Reef Moonshiners method, I'm curious to thoughts on this method, cost of implementation, and pros and cons as well as other means of keeping track of trace elements while doing away with water changes.
Thanks!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I know a few people here are using the Reef Moonshiners method, I'm curious to thoughts on this method, cost of implementation, and pros and cons as well as other means of keeping track of trace elements while doing away with water changes.
Thanks!
Link? Not sure what that is.

DYIguy

NJRC Member

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Just reading the site seems like a lot of work.
It appears to be a lot of work in the beginning and a lot of upfront cost for the supplements. But after a few months it appears to get easier. The ICP tests tell you what you need to dose and the calculator tells you how much.

radiata

NJRC Member
Thanks!

Thank you for your post on a rather curious method that I hadn't previously heard of.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Thank you for your post on a rather curious method that I hadn't previously heard of.
I’m gathering info now on it. Not too much as far as reviews but the few I’ve seen are very positive. I see there’s a FB group I may join to get more info. I have an ICP test coming so I’ll see what I need to dose and read the handbook in the meantime.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
i was part of that group on FB, but i never tried it. Since im not full SPS, i didnt think it was needed as long as my corals are growing and thriving.

john90009

NJRC Member
It requires a icp done monthly so make sure you factor that in as well. Some of the dosing which can end up building up will crash a tank of not caught or altered depending on growth.

Just got all my bottles and did my first 3 days of corrections! I think my initial cost was about $200. Each element is $20 a bottle, but some of them will last forever as the dosage requirments are very small.If you go on the Rm facebook page, most people are saying they use alot of fluorine. I guess it depends mostly on what the values are in the salt your using and what coral load is in your tank as to how much this will really cost.

Even though theoretically, your not spending any money on water changes, you still have the cost of the elements and ICP tests. So I guess it's going to be a push. However I like the idea of being able to control the values of each element.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Just got all my bottles and did my first 3 days of corrections! I think my initial cost was about $200. Each element is $20 a bottle, but some of them will last forever as the dosage requirments are very small.If you go on the Rm facebook page, most people are saying they use alot of fluorine. I guess it depends mostly on what the values are in the salt your using and what coral load is in your tank as to how much this will really cost.

Even though theoretically, your not spending any money on water changes, you still have the cost of the elements and ICP tests. So I guess it's going to be a push. However I like the idea of being able to control the values of each element.
What are you using to dose Alk,Calc, and Mag?

Just starting. All for reef.. seems like it had good reviews.
Yea, that's what I was using up until I switched over to the shine. I will tell you this............When I did my first ICP test to get started on the shine, my results came back with a few elements lacking. First off I had zero iodine. I was also very low on boron, potassium, and fluorine. I don't know if it was because AFR is low in those elements, or if my tank was just taking them up. Either way zero iodine is not good for softies.

Now that first Icp test was taken when I was using AFR with Reef Crystals salt. If I was you, I would definately do an ICP test after a month or two to see where your at. Remeber with AFR you are kind of peigeon holed into using the elements in the proportions that Tropic Marin wants you to. I think the shine is designed for you to run a little higher on the values of the elements because were running a closed system.

P.S. I am now using Aquaforest salt with the Moonshine.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I’m dosing kalkwasser also and yes Andre doesn’t recommend it due to precipitation but I know a lot of people dose kalk to their tanks without issue. I’m just looking for the moonshiners method to add the trace elements and do way less water changes.