• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef Safe Butterfly

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I rarely believe what I read. Angels aren't reef safe- have had several- still do and thet leave all my corals alone. I recently have been able to add sps to my tank and would like to add a butterfly. Would love to hear that someone has one with no problems

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I’m assuming you’re talking about dwarf angelfish, which all come “with caution”. That said, I’ve had coral beauties, flameback, and flame angelfish with luck. That luck might be that I’ve had so much coral I didn’t notice they were munching on it.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Butterflys are a little different from angels. There are certain butterflies that eat coral which is why you see some labeled as fish only. Butterflies can pick and SPS polyps. So they might not kill your corals but you won't relaly have polyp extension during the day. As Mark said above, pyramids and copperbands are generally considered reef safe but they can still pick.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
My pyramids so far so good. 2 years in.

Salted

NJRC Member
As Mark said above, pyramids and copperbands are generally considered reef safe but they can still pick.
Loved my copperband. One of my favorite fish. It made short work of the pink Hawaiian feather duster I’d gotten my wife. It left everything else alone. I know dyiguy has feathers, not sure how important they are to him should he desire a cb.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Loved my copperband. One of my favorite fish. It made short work of the pink Hawaiian feather duster I’d gotten my wife. It left everything else alone. I know dyiguy has feathers, not sure how important they are to him should he desire a cb.
I have not seen these for sale in about about a year. Actually, Pyramids are scarce lately too.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Decided to stay away from butterflies now that I seem to able to keep sps alive. Copperbands are to much work for me and I have never seen a pyramid in any lfs