• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reefer 1 Hitchhikers 1 : it's a draw so far

If you saw my earlier post today you know that I found a sinister looking little crab with red eyes and white racing stripes in my nano tank today... never saw him before and haven't added anything new in ages. Needless to say when I saw him again in the afternoon I knew I better make an effort to get him out. Made a bucket of high salinity water and went to work, didn't take to long and he crawled out of his hole and I tossed him into a 3g tank (hubby wanted to see, maybe keep him... he usually has no interest in my tank so why not). Next I tried to get the monster bristleworm out of the rock in my 50g. I tried the hypersalinity dip... he crawled deeper into the rock. I kept him in there, the shrooms starting spewing their insides, pods jumping out... still no worm. I got a turkey baster and tried blowing it in at him, no luck... I got some FW and tried that with the turkey baster, still nothing... shrooms looking worse so I gave up and tossed the rock into the 3g with the crab.

It only has a little fluorscent bulb so the shrooms won't be happy very long but I figure they could do ok for a few days. Any tips on getting the monster worm out? Figure in a day or two it would get hungry and if I put some pellet food at the other side of the tank it might come out and I could pull the rock?

Until then it looks like I have a hitchhiker nano setup LOL just need a mantis and my crab/worm issue would likely resolve itself hehehe.

Glad to hear you got the crab out. I was curious about the outcome of that one when you said the rocks would tumble if you messed with them!

I am not sure what to tell you about the worm but please post what works because I will be getting about 200LBS of live rock and I am SURE there will be something in it!

totally evil looking little guy, I'll try to get some photos but my camera is oldschool digital and awful at closeups. I can't figure out what type he is, but all I can find on the internet is that red eye crabs are not only bad but very poisonous as well. Maybe the worm will try to eat him and my troubles will be over LOL