• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reefer 250

Thats a good point. I didnt think of that. Not sure if I can find soft tubing that wide or maybe I need to get different adaptors. Im new to plumbing. This is my first sump. Im gonna give it a whirl with the setup now and if its too loud I will look into it

horseplay

NJRC Member
As far as light go, I have T5 + Radions. I like the clean look of the combo. One wire going down the corner of the tank. Very thin panel.

T5 is what worked for me for SPS. I have seem great LED-lit SPS tanks but T5 is easier and cheaper. The brightness cannot be achieve with LED.

And if you do go down the Hybrid route there is not a lot of difference on what LED you choose. Buy used Radions or AI's and save major amount of $$$.

As far as light go, I have T5 + Radions. I like the clean look of the combo. One wire going down the corner of the tank. Very thin panel.

T5 is what worked for me for SPS. I have seem great LED-lit SPS tanks but T5 is easier and cheaper. The brightness cannot be achieve with LED.

And if you do go down the Hybrid route there is not a lot of difference on what LED you choose. Buy used Radions or AI's and save major amount of $$$.
Thanks. Im considering getting a T5 Aquatic life hybrid system. How often are you replacing the bulbs and how much do you spend yearly?

horseplay

NJRC Member
I used them for 18 to 24 months. BRS did a video and found out they last a lot longer than the 9 to 12 suggested usable life. It about $90 for 4 bulbs.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I used them for 18 to 24 months. BRS did a video and found out they last a lot longer than the 9 to 12 suggested usable life. It about $90 for 4 bulbs.
18 to 22 months with my bulbs. I usually buy during Black Friday sales

I personally use 4xATI Blue Plus but that is partially because when I bought it they were already installed ;). I would be interested to hear other perspectives as well.

horseplay

NJRC Member
3 blue+ 1 purple. I have seen 2b+, c+ and 1 actinic. I like the later a little better. The actinic makes the color very sharp. it is really a personal preference.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
No very simple. My suggestion is the 16k-20k look.

Here is a general recommendation for most users:

16K - 20K - Bluish white with a noticeable blue and red under-tone

4-Bulb combination
  • 3 ATI Blue Plus
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus
6-Bulb combination
  • 4 ATI Blue Plus
  • 1 ATI Coral Plus
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus
8-Bulb combination
  • 5 ATI Blue Plus
  • 2 ATI Coral Plus
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus
10-Bulb combination
  • 6 ATI Blue Plus
  • 3 ATI Coral Plus
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus
12K - 16K - Cool white with a noticeable blue and red under-tone

4-Bulb combination
  • 2 ATI Blue Plus
  • 2 ATI Coral Plus
6-Bulb combination
  • 3 ATI Blue Plus
  • 2 ATI Coral Plus
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus
8-Bulb combination
  • 4 ATI Blue Plus
  • 3 ATI Coral Plus
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus
10-Bulb combination
  • 5 ATI Blue Plus
  • 4 ATI Coral Plus
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus
10K - 14K - Crisp white with just a hint of blue

4-Bulb combination
  • 2 ATI Blue Plus
  • 1 ATI Aquablue Special
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus
6-Bulb combination
  • 3 ATI Blue Plus
  • 2 ATI Aquablue Special
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus
8-Bulb combination
  • 4 ATI Blue Plus
  • 2 ATI Aquablue Special
  • 2 ATI Purple Plus
10-Bulb combination
  • 5 ATI Blue Plus
  • 3 ATI Aquablue Special
  • 2 ATI Purple Plus
For aquariums with a lot of LPS corals, a True Actinic bulb can be used in place of Purple Plus to provide enhanced pop in coral color.

Also for all hybrid users, how exactly do you blend your leds with the t5s? Do you eely on heavy blue with t5s and whites on leds? Or just set leds accordingly and pop in the bulbs?

horseplay

NJRC Member
Get the light that is the same width as the tank. T5 does not project much lights beyond the end point. I use one of the presets from Radion. The LED runs 12 hours and the T5's 5 hours. When the T5's are on the LED basically just provide some shimmer but most of the visible lights are coming from T5.

Damn. I was hoping to save some cash on the fixture getting the 24. I planned to keep lps on the sides mostly. Do you think that will work?

horseplay

NJRC Member
that totall works. but you might not have space to mount two LEDs. One LED will not have the coverage for a 36” tank.