• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reefer 425 Won't Clear up

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Howdy,

I am finally inquiring for some help.

My reefer 425 has been setup for roughly 3 months now, I used cured rock (brute can cycle) and seeded with 30 gallons of established tank water and tons of beneficial bacteria. The tank started clear but than got a slight haze to it, I thought it was due to my protein skimmer overflowing once or twice, but I have now since gotten that very under control. I have a carbon reactor that I recently added in hopes that it would clear the water up with no luck. I am starting to worry that the reefer roller mat is the issue and is just not cutting it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dkh 8.5
Calcium 440
Phosphate less than .03
Nitrate between 0/5
Mag 1350
Ph 8.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Salinity 1.026

I also did an ICP test recently with no major findings

Attachments

• PXL_20231226_163412421.jpg
    PXL_20231226_163412421.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20231226_162840979.jpg
    PXL_20231226_162840979.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20231226_163418947.jpg
    PXL_20231226_163418947.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I'm guessing a bacterial bloom. You can get a cheap UV off Amazon and run it for a week or 2. This is what I did for my 40g frag when it started getting cloudy out of nowhere.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I'm guessing a bacterial bloom. You can get a cheap UV off Amazon and run it for a week or 2. This is what I did for my 40g frag when it started getting cloudy out of nowhere.
It's been blooming for several months.

What cheap uv did you go with ?

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
However, on my reefer 750 I run an Aqua UV 57w setup.

I was dealing with cloudy water as well and it seems you started the same way I did. I would say just give it more time. Mine finally cleared up end of month 4. Then again I added a good amount of corals and I got a refugium which may have helped.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I would leave it alone. The tank is going to look bad for a long time.
You could have silicon in the sand. The tank is still not stable. I would keep doing water changes and run carbon for a while.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I am dosing nopox and its cleared up quite a bit now, I do plan on getting a sterilizer eventually, but I wanted to see if anyone else had good ideas.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Can confirm the nopox has cleared the tank to the point it's crystal.

I'll be setting it up on a regular dose instead of manual

Rueric

NJRC Member
I've used the green killing machine and it seemed to work good, it's available at Petco so it's often on sale
With regards to the GKM, be aware of rising levels of antimony. I wouldn't use it long term if you can find something better. Look on R2R for multiple threads on this