• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Refugium Question

momof6kids

NJRC Member
How much chaeto should you have in your refugium? Is there a point where you have too much and it is not beneficial?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
The more chaeto, the more filtering.
I'd always start, or trim back to baseball size as Chris mentioned, but I'd let it grow quite a bit until the light couldn't fully penetrate it.
Didn't want it to start dying on the bottom from lack of light and defeating its own purpose.
Sometimes I'd pull out carpets of the stuff.
Its all down to size of fuge, availability of light, and how often you want to drag the stuff out.

erics210

NJRC Member
I had gotten some from Marc_C, and both times. Mine just withered away.
Only filtration I have is filter socks (Which I swap when they start overflowing) and a skimmer, but very dry skim. Takes 2 weeks+ to fill the cup.
Aside from when I feed reef roids 2 times a week, my tank has virtually non existent Nitrates and Phosphates.
My NeoNitrates are on the way. I will be experimenting with doing Nitrates. Trying to overfeed or do daily reef roids was sending my phosphates through the roof.
As much as Cheato sounds cool- My tank, just cannot support it at this time. Maybe if I add the sand back in. But for now. NOPE

D

Deleted member 27248

I won’t run chaeto ever again...I prefer other macros to it. I have fern calerpa, dragons breath, and now grape caleurpa in my sump.they look so much nicer and grow way faster in my opinion. I literally had to start dosing phosphates again last week because it pulled down too much so quickly.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
As others have said, let it grow until it is literally blocking the light and some of it is dying off.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I won’t run chaeto ever again...I prefer other macros to it. I have fern calerpa, dragons breath, and now grape caleurpa in my sump.they look so much nicer and grow way faster in my opinion. I literally had to start dosing phosphates again last week because it pulled down too much so quickly.

careful with the caleurpa, yes it grows quicker but it can go sexual and crash your system.

D

Deleted member 27248

careful with the caleurpa, yes it grows quicker but it can go sexual and crash your system.
I ran it for 3 years it my old tank, never had a problem. I’ve heard this mentioned many times
Over the years, but have never met anyone it’s actually happend to.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
This is the first tank that I have had a refugium in. The chaeto has pretty much filled that side. Nothing is dying off but since my nitrates and phosphates are at zero wondering if I have too much. It is a really thick mat.

Attachments

• 6962E304-48E9-4FD9-A8F6-9D50205BF888.jpeg
    6962E304-48E9-4FD9-A8F6-9D50205BF888.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6