• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Regeneration of Cleaner Shrimp Tail???

Anybody have any experience with a skunk cleaner shrimp's tail growing back? The tail was clipped off a few weeks ago and it survived without any real problems and happily scampers over rocks and fulfills its fish cleaning role. I know it molted at least once since the incident but the tail is still not there (and my wife thinks its looking a little cockroach like). I couldn't find any mention of tail regeneration on the web anywhere (plenty about leg regeneration though) so I was hoping one of you friendly local reefers may have some knowledge to share on the subject?

never heard of that...did you get a pic when it was without a tail?

Frankly I'm wondering if what you saw was a molt missing a tail...

Nah, as I said above I saw it molt once already and the tail is still not there after that molt. I have a (bad quality) picture of the still tailless cleaner shrimp (very active, alive and happy - not a mere, dead shell of its former self) but I don't know how to post it on here. I'm hoping that the tail will grow back after a few more molts (it doesn't seem to be able to really swim well without it but it scampers all over the place) but I will still keep it as a valuable member of the community if it does not grow back.

I would say that it would grow back but it will take quite a while...
Only problem it is extremly vunerable to any predators...
It should very slowly grow back through its molting process...
I have had a sally light foot crab grow back its claw that was totally ripped off..
That was funny to watch one little claw and one large one but it did...
Also a conch that got an eye ripped off that grew back...
If anything try and put it in fuge/ sump or QT tank so that it is not stressed...
But since it molts it should grow back..

thanks for the reply tbone. I don't have a sump so I have just let it fend for itself and its doing well - another healthy molt 2 days ago but still no tail in sight (but if I squint my eyes just right, it looks like some little nubs may be forming back there). I'll let you know if it grows back. This sight is very cool. Thanks for all the helpful advice posted here. I

it's probably going to take a little while for it to gain it back.. it should slowly come back.. maybe try an add a invert supplement, i know kent makes one or a little extra iodine helps them molt

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
It will grow back in time,how did it get chopped off anyway?
Ok so now I need to bust ya....Surfnturf is LOBSTER tail not shrimp.. ;D (sorry had to do it)

reefsandrotts said:
It will grow back in time,how did it get chopped off anyway?
Ok so now I need to bust ya....Surfnturf is LOBSTER tail not shrimp.. ;D (sorry had to do it)
well ya know um its like a recession and everything and a guy uhm can get hungry and its just kind of like in the window there lookin all gourmet delicious and all just teasing ya, staring you right in the face------

my money is on my tiger pistol shrimp/watchman goby tag team taking the cleaner's tail but I'm not sure (just 2 o clowns, purple firefish, and coral beauty left as tank suspects) - my money is also on the tail not growing back - it hasn't been long but I've seen 5 molts since the tail was clipped and no progress towards regeneration.

that question and answer just made me think that i was wrong to narrow my suspects to the living - it could have been a powerhead that clipped the tail.