• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Remora C skimmer question

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Looking to get a better skimmer for my 55. I can get a the above used for $50. The pump with looks different from the online pics. Is anyone familiar with this skimmer and give some info about it?

Thanks,
Mark

I have one on my 55g softie tank with a maxijet 1200 for a pump. When they first came out a Rio pump was standard and the MJ1200 was an upgrade. Many folks upgrade to a Mag3.

You will get mixed opinions on them. They are handmade and there seems to be some variation in performace. I'm very happy with mine. They are better than Prizms and Seaclones for sure, but they are certainly not a match for even the more economical in-sumps like coralife and octopus.

$50 with pump is great price for a used one in good condition. If you pas on it, I'd be interested.

I also use one (2 years old) and it is fine on my 75gal. Definitively use Maxijet pump (so many bad reviews about Rio pumps), or even something stronger. The only important thing you have to remember with this skimmer is that you have to keep the neck of the collection cup as clean as possible.

mladencovic said:
The only important thing you have to remember with this skimmer is that you have to keep the neck of the collection cup as clean as possible.

But the good news with these is that is really easy to do!

does this skimmer needs a lot of adjustments to work properly? can it overflow? looking to buy one too :)

thank you!

Lialla said:
does this skimmer needs a lot of adjustments to work properly? can it overflow? looking to buy one too :)

thank you!

No, it does not need a lot of adjustments. And, no, it definitively can not overflow.

It is an injection stream design, so while technically you could adjust the injection nozzle, I have never ever had the need for it. You just adjust the height of the collection depending on how wet/dry you want your skimate to be. Injection stream also mean that water flows unimpeded by any valves (after the nozzle) so there is no fear there.