• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Replacing clear silicone with black?

I am wondering if this can be done without completely disassembling the glass panels?

I fell in with a Deep Blue Professional tank that I saw at The Fish Factory and drive out there last night to buy it. As it turns out, the guy there wouldn't sell it to me at the price they told me a few weeks ago, so out of principal I walked out empty handed.

I'm thinking of picking up a 90g aga tank but free having the tank ibhave now with the black silicone seams, I think I want my next one like that too. I love it.

Could I just take a razor blade (or 12) and clean out the inside beads of clear silicone and re-do it with black? I'm comfortable enough with my masking & calking ability to do this, but not to re-do te seams completely. If I leave the silicone that is actually sandwiched between the panels alone, and just recaulked the inside bead, would I be okay?

Any advice or tips? I'm thinking a long as I get a clean surface and let it cure long enough I should be okay. Opinions?

I might be wrong but I think the seal is stronger as one unit . Silicone will not adhear to itself so you will have two weaker bonds.
I would not buy a new tank and reseal it due to silicone color. I would not trust the joint. Hope I,m wrong and it works ok for you.

malulu

NJRC Member
qwik said:
I might be wrong but I think the seal is stronger as one unit . Silicone will not adhear to itself so you will have two weaker bonds.
I would not buy a new tank and reseal it due to silicone color. I would not trust the joint. Hope I,m wrong and it works ok for you.

+1

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
malulu said:
qwik said:

+1
+2 Sorry, I wouldn't even consider it