• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

responsibility of stores with marine display tanks

I just came back from dinner to a famous chain restaurant in the Edison NJ area. They had a saltwater tank so i naturally made a bee line for it and i was dismayed at what i saw. The tank was a 150 maybe a 180 Tops definitely no larger. There were IMO 30+ fish in the tank. Many IMO are not compatible together. There were 2 large angels an Imperator and a Blue, various large Tangs 4-5 clownfish (2 diff species), an assorted array of gammas, wrasses, and a bunch of different highly aggressive damsels along with some dwarf angels. Most of the fish looked unhealthy, and have Ich. The two large angels were aggressively posturing towards one another. I know the restaurant probably does not have a clue about fish health and compatibility but IMO whoever put this tank together doesn't have a clue either. They have no regard for fish health and compatibility and only wanted to put together a "pretty tank". I know people aren't perfect and people make mistakes but this really set me off tonite. I try to be responsible and research before anything goes in my tank because i want to do the right thing and i would like to think the majority of the people in this hobby are responsible like me but i know some aren't.

seeing this tank really bothered me, I almost said something to the manager (not that they would care), but out of respect for my dinner companions i kept my mouth shut. I am thinking about writing a letter to the corporate headquarters about my concerns. Am i overreacting??

I would like to hear your opinions if you don't mind

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Harry,
I agree and probably would have said something to the manager. I would have to guess that they hired some company to setup and maintain the tank, obviously not a good one. Write that letter and send it to the main office. What's the worst that can happen; they don't respond. Heck maybe they'll reply with the company name and you can forward to them as well.

Mark

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would talk to the manager and ask if they have a tank maintenance co. coming in to take care of their tank. If so, have them call the co. to let them know the tank has ick. If not, direct them (gently) to NJRC to properly learn how to care for their tank.

Mark,

I was getting so angry my Wife had to tell me to be quiet and calm down. I will probably never go back there again

Harry

I would imagine the restaurant contracts somone who stocks and maintains the tank and hasn't a clue. I would mention it to the manager. He probably doesn't know the difference between ich and the salt shakers in his Cafe.

I bet he is as lost with his tanks as he would be in a RainForest!

Getting warm??

I has a similar situation at a restaurant also. Made me so mad I couldn't enjoy the dinner. I vowed next time I go to a restaurant and there is any kind of tank or koi pond I won't look at it until after dinner.

At least that way I won't get worked up about it. :)
Carlo

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
When I go to a pet store and see sale people trying to the sell the world at once to a customer I open my mouth. So many times I see people buying a tank, filter, etc, and a bunch of fish. I tell them forget the fish for now and spend a good amount of time explaining why. My 11 year old is a reptile nut and does the same thing. The employees get pissed but never say a word cause I am in every week spending much money for all the pets.

Mark

I've worked for maintenance companies in the past and some of the stupid things they do make me sick. I wont mention any names but they could care less about the animals it was all about money to them. They would do whatever they had to do to make sale fully knowing that it wouldn't work and the tank would be a death trap. I think they preferred the fish to die so the customers would buy more fish. Its a shame how they can give the whole industry a bad name.

i know the maintenance company is only out to make a buck and I'm sure they charged plenty for the tank they set up. I am going to call and write the letter. it's still bothering me this morning. Just the thought that most of those fish will probably die and be replaced by another one, it's a vicious cycle of stupidity I'm glad that many people feel the way that I do. I also try to educate people at the pet store. It's amazing how many people just jump right in with the "instant" saltwater tank and don't have a concept of what is involved. I don't think IMO this is a hard hobby, but it is one that needs plenty of patience and plenty of understanding and knowledge.

thanks
Harry

Back when there were more of the Rainforest Cafe places, I was unhappy to see the condition of the fish in their fancy trick aquariums. HLLE was on the menu every time! Makes it hard to feel good about the place.
Maybe we should compile a list of restaurants with aquariums that don't make you lose your lunch!

Yea, and maybe a couple of members local to them could pick up some extra cash and service the tanks properly.

Carlo

Wouldn't it be cool if NJ reefers could have a program similar to how the 'BBB' certifies good businesses - with like a sticker that is maintained annually to indicate that the saltwater tank has been checked and certified as "eco-friendly"...meaning it would have to meet some set of criteria which the officers with input from the members come up with.

Those that pass would have letters sent to all NJ reef members (and posted) here noting their "passing grade"...and those that don't bother - are put on a blacklist of places not to go. In addition we could send letters to each of these places indicating that X number of members will be directed to go elsewhere because they are so bad with their tanks.

I'm just thinking out loud here - but I feel like putting all the responsibility on harryk to write a letter - seems to be missing the opportunity.

Anyways - I totally can see the naivete in this idea and how impractical it would be - but it sure would be cool.

Writing a letter can always help and never hurt. The worst that happens is it wastes 39-41 cents in postage, an envelope, and a piece of paper.

It's a sad fact that the care of ornamental fish often falls through the cracks when it comes to the DOA inspections. The Department of Agriculture representatives that came and did our inspections at the LFS I worked at knew very little about fish and relied on Danny and I being honest to her (which I rather liked because honesty often granted us some rather juicy tidbits of gossip about other stores). They were always spot on about obvious, glaring issues (like the time DOA showed up when we had a sump out for repairs) and the vending of illegal animals (hooray for the time the DOA appeared right as a gentleman was trying to trade in undersized game fish for store credit and wouldn't take "no" for an answer and double hooray for all the times they wanted to see the same paperwork on file about the same darned snails). Yet, have a real issue or question about fish, and they were utterly clueless.

I don't think your idea is naive, Phil, but I do think it is a bit over-reaching in the authority of a local club in the idea of "blacklisting" locations. I can see how it could work in the same way that MAC certified locations work. MAC isn't as widespread because it's expensive and difficult to get certified, so it often makes MAC certified products more costly retail. However, a voluntary program could possibly work, as like a little added incentive for locations to take better care of their animals. Blacklisting wouldn't really help to solve a problem, where friendly and helpful advice is more likely to encourage a difference.

At any rate, it seems nice in theory, but I'm not certain how it would work, if at all.

:-\

I'm sure it's not the store's fault it's more of the maintance company's issue.

I'm going to bet that store aren't the only place where there are tanks with fish in these conditions. I'd bet a lot of money there are more people in the hobby with a tank full of stuff they shouldn't have together and that aren't healthy.