• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Results are in direct from tropic marin

Well here's the facts directly from the folks over at tropic marin. I had some discussions with some of you about this salt the other day and here's the facts directly from the manufacturer and the reason why I am trying another product. Sounds like the product will be fixed so ill likely be back once the issues are resolved just thought id share.Screenshot_20220202-144208_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20220202-144213_Facebook.jpg

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Reef crystal salt $40 mixes dirty. BRS says this is bad.
Tropic Marin salt $120 mixes dirty as well and BRS this not a problem no effect on corals lol

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
This has been an interesting follow for sure, I stopped using their stuff just because it was expensive and getting harder and harder to find. Switched to instant ocean (we have a calcium reactor) and have been happy with it since. The salt mix that left the most residue that I dealt with was aquavitro, took days to mix and left a ton of black residue all over the mixing tank, had to clean it pretty regularly.

Reef crystal salt $40 mixes dirty. BRS says this is bad.
Tropic Marin salt $120 mixes dirty as well and BRS this not a problem no effect on corals lol
Isn't that ironic. I find it hard to believe there is no ill effect on corals. I've been having some algae issues since using this Turkish bucket of TM. I'm wondering if the " insoluble clay impurities" are part of the contributor to my algae issues. I'm tossing the rest of the bucket I'll take the loss.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I find if Reef Crystals is left mixing over 2 days it turns brownish. I try and get my WC done with 36 hrs.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Isn't that ironic. I find it hard to believe there is no ill effect on corals. I've been having some algae issues since using this Turkish bucket of TM. I'm wondering if the " insoluble clay impurities" are part of the contributor to my algae issues. I'm tossing the rest of the bucket I'll take the loss.
If you measure ORP after you do a water change with this TM salt will get a substantial drop when it should actually go up. It's probably killing some organism in your tank causing the algea bloom.

If you measure ORP after you do a water change with this TM salt will get a substantial drop when it should actually go up. It's probably killing some organism in your tank causing the algea bloom.
I don't have a way to test orp and I'm not dumping anymore of that salt in my tank but I'd bet your right about this.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
My orp keeps going up and I am using instant ocean.

Attachments

• 09B8262F-4653-4E31-9433-6B63B5DD0A55.png
    09B8262F-4653-4E31-9433-6B63B5DD0A55.png
    521 KB · Views: 4
For what ever it’s worth I switched to tropic Marin years ago because I was disappointed with the crud that built up in my mixing tanks with other salts and just how quickly it would happen. I tried several other brands and was consistently disappointed by the huge amount of buildup. I have been using tropic Marin for close to two years now and never “had” to clean one of my drums. It’s expensive. (I usually pay around 80 bucks for a five gallon pale) but would never switch. It has been an outstanding product for me. And for the record, with My 400 gallons of system water. I have made A LOT of water. To be clear. I am aware that you can get incredible results with pretty much any salt. I just hate how dirty and inconsistent so much of it is.