• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Results are in direct from tropic marin

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
These guys are full of ****.
They have been pushing this salt for a long time.

What did I miss? I watched the attached video and they said they were bias. They said they use it. They said they were disappointed and a little angry. I’m not sure what makes them or there take on the turkey plant issue full of crap. Honestly I’m neutral on the video. Just curious what got past me.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
What did I miss? I watched the attached video and they said they were bias. They said they use it. They said they were disappointed and a little angry. I’m not sure what makes them or there take on the turkey plant issue full of crap. Honestly I’m neutral on the video. Just curious what got past me.
The need to stop pushing this “premium salt” crap.
They need to say all salts have different impurities.
They need to say “ ALL SALTS WORK” buy what you want.
There is very little difference from one salt to the next.
I personally have tried all of them and I didn’t see any
MAGIC with any one. You have reefers believing that all
Their tank problems will go away if you buy this Premium salt for
$120 a bucket.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wait! @amado , if I'm not mistaken, you're in marketing and sales. The number one rule of marketing is "pulling the wooly" on people. There is a very large percentage of the population who want the "best" and are willing to pay. I use to be a motorhead and I'd hang out at a friends parts store. One day he brought out three BMW air filters, put them on the counter, and asked me to tell him the difference between the three filters. I inspected them up and down and backward and forward. Other then the part number on the boxes, all three were identical. He then told me, no, the cost of each was $10, $17 and $24 dollars, and they are for the 3, 5 and 7 Series BMW's, respectively. He told me the guy owning the 7 Series BMW doesn't what to know his car takes the same filter as a 3 Series. They are happy to pay for that superior filter for their high-priced car.

And I agree with you, salt is salt. Pick the one that is in the area of the numbers you want with alk, calc and mag......unless you are willing to pay "for the best!" :oo:

I'm extremely happy with regular old purple box IO, and I keep the extra cash in my pocket.....it's not cheaper, it's just less expensive.

It just seems you have a particularly harsh opinion of the boys. I have absolutely on many occasions seen and heard them say the most important thing is to pick a salt that fits as closely as possible to your particular water parameters. I have heard them clearly say that all salts will work. As far as price I’ve never paid more than 80 for a bucket of TM. Not sure why someone would pay 120. And I now from personal experience… not what I was told, believe or otherwise convinced that TM is cleaner than many other salts. Based solely on my mixing containers. No that dosent make it better. But for me. It makes my Reefing life easier. And finally. I’m totally good with the difference of opinion. But I feel that BRS as a retailer does a heck of lot more to educate the reffing community than just about anyone.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
You guys are making me nervous. I sue IO Reef Crystals all the time. However, few months ago when I picked the clownfish pair the guy gave me an open bucket of TM Pro Reef Sea Salt. I still have one and half bags of IO before I use the TM salt.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
It just seems you have a particularly harsh opinion of the boys. I have absolutely on many occasions seen and heard them say the most important thing is to pick a salt that fits as closely as possible to your particular water parameters. I have heard them clearly say that all salts will work. As far as price I’ve never paid more than 80 for a bucket of TM. Not sure why someone would pay 120. And I now from personal experience… not what I was told, believe or otherwise convinced that TM is cleaner than many other salts. Based solely on my mixing containers. No that dosent make it better. But for me. It makes my Reefing life easier. And finally. I’m totally good with the difference of opinion. But I feel that BRS as a retailer does a heck of lot more to educate the reffing community than just about anyone.
BRS is a wolf in sheep clothing they make you feel like they are helping.
But in realty it’s a infomercial.

a lot of people blindly follow their advice with out doing anymore research.
I want to see tanks before I take advice. They tried to setup a tank at Brian’s house and everything they kept pushing he walked away from.

1) tanks with no sand are better. Ryan setups his tank and it crashes and has a lot of problems so they add sand.
2) these guys are always pushing wall to wall sps tanks. Now in his tank he killed all the sps so he changed it into a LPS and softy tank.
3) they kept pushing they t5 and led hybrid method but when BRS purchase NEptune now a couple sky is all that’s needed. Lol
I can go on for day of the level of bull **** that they put out.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Wait! @amado , if I'm not mistaken, you're in marketing and sales. The number one rule of marketing is "pulling the wooly" on people. There is a very large percentage of the population who want the "best" and are willing to pay. I use to be a motorhead and I'd hang out at a friends parts store. One day he brought out three BMW air filters, put them on the counter, and asked me to tell him the difference between the three filters. I inspected them up and down and backward and forward. Other then the part number on the boxes, all three were identical. He then told me, no, the cost of each was $10, $17 and $24 dollars, and they are for the 3, 5 and 7 Series BMW's, respectively. He told me the guy owning the 7 Series BMW doesn't what to know his car takes the same filter as a 3 Series. They are happy to pay for that superior filter for their high-priced car.

And I agree with you, salt is salt. Pick the one that is in the area of the numbers you want with alk, calc and mag......unless you are willing to pay "for the best!" :oo:

I'm extremely happy with regular old purple box IO, and I keep the extra cash in my pocket.....it's not cheaper, it's just less expensive.
I am in sales. I am a realtor. I became a realtor because I wanted to help minorities like me purchase homes they could afford. I run my business with no pressure to the customers. I show all inventory not just my listings.
I work with all realtors not just people in my office. I give my clients the same advice I would give to my family. I have never liked those car sales men tactics to get people to buy a home. I also don’t force people to sign contracts to work with only me. If you feel someone else is a better fit then good luck.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That’s the price on most stores.

Attachments

• A005A450-0709-4A93-9A38-431FF80499E0.png
    A005A450-0709-4A93-9A38-431FF80499E0.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
I wonder how many reefers use TMP just because they like having the bucket say "PRO" on it. I'm sure alot of them leave a bucket out in plain sight to be seen when company comes over. It's amazing what marketing gimics people fall for.

I so enjoy your all or nothing view on things Amado. Not sure who at BRS hurt you so badly. But people are smarter than you are willing to give them credit. Most people are able to disseminate a conversation or advice and pull out of what they need. Of course BRS isint always correct. But neither are you. And certainly neither am I. But you paint a picture as if they are out to get you. And frankly that’s simply ridiculous.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wonder how many reefers use TMP just because they like having the bucket say "PRO" on it. I'm sure alot of them leave a bucket out in plain sight to be seen when company comes over. It's amazing what marketing gimics people fall for.
LOL....you just made me get up and look at the black bucket I use to store open bags of IO. I got this bucket years ago for someone who had given this to me to carry the stuff I purchased. Even thought I have loads of other buckets, I use this one because I can very easily pull off the lid. Up until now, I couldn't tell you the name on the bucket....just knew it was black. But now, maybe it's subliminal because it also has "Pro" on the label. I guess I'll now have to start leaving it out when folks come over. :cool::cool::cool:

Coral Pro Salt.jpg

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I so enjoy your all or nothing view on things Amado. Not sure who at BRS hurt you so badly. But people are smarter than you are willing to give them credit. Most people are able to disseminate a conversation or advice and pull out of what they need. Of course BRS isint always correct. But neither are you. And certainly neither am I. But you paint a picture as if they are out to get you. And frankly that’s simply ridiculous.
They are out to get your $$$. They haven’t done anything to me personally but I super sensitive to bull sht. People are not smart, especially when you influence them. Mc Donald is horrible food but the marketing is strong. Cigarettes are horrible but people still smoke. Cancer is real but so is marketing.

In this hobby people use the words like “premium”
“Rare” “limited supply” “must buy now”

it’s crazy how quickly everyone forgot about vertex-cerebra. This was a product that was pushed by BRS. This product took peoples money for pre-orders. They took peoples money and they had no product!! Nothing they claimed bankruptcy and a lot of people were left with nothing.

Last edited:
Seen an update a short while ago from tropic marin stating they will be replacing all turkey plant pro salt. I also received an email from brs whom I purchased from regarding the matter as well. In the email brs provides a form to fill out to request said replacements. You need the lot number and your order number for brs replacements. I filled out my form for replacements and I'd suggest anybody who had issues with the turkey plant pro salt do the same. They are not requiring you to mail the salt back. Also if you purchased in store somewhere you can return it there as well but will need the receipt. If I can find the post from tropic marin again I'll share it here for reference.

For anybody following it looks like brs is replacing my salt. I expect it to take awhile due to demand but this behavior does speak volumes about tropic marin as a company. I will certainly use their salt again. This email came last week but I've been busy and forgot to update you guys about it Screenshot_20220227-102518_Gmail.jpg