• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

rethinking lights

try for 350 at the top of your tank down to like 100-150 at the bottom. place all corals at bottom of tank and slowly (over the course of weeks not days begin to move them up as appropriate)

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I dunno, I used to think it was needed and plenty of experienced reefers told me I didn’t. These days I don’t bother. I have montis growing right next to euphyllia. By reefer logic numbers, the monti isn’t getting enough light, and the euphyllia is getting too much, but they’re both colorful and growing. Go figure.

Lol The only thing I’m a 100% on in this hobby is when I’m sure I have everything right, I don’t. :)

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I purchased a seneye and it was a great decision.
I got it used for $100 and it was worth every penny.
I have also realized that I know nothing about par
And the growth of corals. I have acros growing In low light and I have soft corals In frag tanks with high par. Corals get use to all light. I also realized that how long you run your lights also has an effect on coral growth.

Reefco also rents par meter so if you are not close to ACC.

The club owning a par meter is not a good idea.
Par meters are very delicate and moving it around
From home to home is not a good idea.

The way par meters work is that you make light adjustments. Then you have to wait and see how your corals react. Then a few weeks later check it again and adjust as needed. If you rent the par meter you will only have it for a few days so you can’t make the future adjustments that are needed.

Last edited:
all these stores rent par meters so the argument that it breaks when lent out doesn't really jive. I think it's a great idea to use one when setting up your tank to make sure you have your lights at the right height and understand the coverage areas in your tank. I agree that using it long term is better but don't discount using it even once to get base settings correct.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
all these stores rent par meters so the argument that it breaks when lent out doesn't really jive. I think it's a great idea to use one when setting up your tank to make sure you have your lights at the right height and understand the coverage areas in your tank. I agree that using it long term is better but don't discount using it even once to get base settings correct.
[/QUOTE

Who would be responsible for the meter ?
How will you take a $300 deposit ? For the rental of the par meter ?
Who pays shipping of the par meter ?
Who will be responsible if the par meter brakes?
Bulk reef supply buys the par meter at cost.
So they have a relationship with the vendor.
So for them renting out a $200 par meter for $70
Makes good sense. They have about 10-15 par meter going out. They have staff that can ship and return and check the par meter.
The club doesn’t they will be paying $300 retail.
I have actually touched a few par meter and used
2 to compare against my seneye and I can tell you
It’s fragile.

meter can be bought with extended warranty. yep take a $300 deposit and whoever is borrowing it is responsible for insured shipping both directions if it cannot be picked up.
if meter is returned broken then cost for return or repair comes out of the deposit.

I volunteer as a trustee in my HOA, it's a lot of work, with the meetings, collecting dues, tracking keys, throwing parties, repairing the park, keeping our insurance updated, but everyone pitches in and we all enjoy it. I'm sure one of the officers can handle it or they can rotate duty. that's the whole point of the club.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
meter can be bought with extended warranty. yep take a $300 deposit and whoever is borrowing it is responsible for insured shipping both directions if it cannot be picked up.
if meter is returned broken then cost for return or repair comes out of the deposit.

I volunteer as a trustee in my HOA, it's a lot of work, with the meetings, collecting dues, tracking keys, throwing parties, repairing the park, keeping our insurance updated, but everyone pitches in and we all enjoy it. I'm sure one of the officers can handle it or they can rotate duty. that's the whole point of the club.

From what I get from this group that won’t happen.
We couldn’t get a zoom meeting for the club and that was $20 lol so good luck

From what I get from this group that won’t happen.
We couldn’t get a zoom meeting for the club and that was $20 lol so good luck
i thought zoom was free for up to 100 ppl? just have to rejoin every 40 minutes?

thats too bad about the par meter though. i understand the issue was brought up in the past and decided as no, but it might be something worth revisiting if enough people are interested. in my mind light set up is like once, i get it people like to do it a few times but i think a lot of people just want a base reading at lowest intensity and highest. madreefer said a lux meter will do the job so I'll probably just go with that or the seneye. but a par meter should be a no brainer for the club, i think most reef clubs have one

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
i thought zoom was free for up to 100 ppl? just have to rejoin every 40 minutes?

thats too bad about the par meter though. i understand the issue was brought up in the past and decided as no, but it might be something worth revisiting if enough people are interested. in my mind light set up is like once, i get it people like to do it a few times but i think a lot of people just want a base reading at lowest intensity and highest. madreefer said a lux meter will do the job so I'll probably just go with that or the seneye. but a par meter should be a no brainer for the club, i think most reef clubs have one

I am a member a paid member to 3 reef clubs
And they don’t own par meters. The seneye in my opinion is a good choice. Especially if you don’t have a controller. It will monitor your temp, ph and ammonia. It will also monitor water level and send you a text or email when any of these parameters are out of range.

The only downside of the seneye is that its tied to your account. So I can’t lend you my seneye.
You would have to setup a new account with every seneye.

And they don’t own par meters. The seneye in my opinion is a good choice. Especially if you don’t have a controller. It will monitor your temp, ph and ammonia. It will also monitor water level and send you a text or email when any of these parameters are out of range.

The only downside of the seneye is that its tied to your account. So I can’t lend you my seneye.
yeah I will definitely go with a more permanent solution given the facts. renting a meter for me is just throwing money out the window.

Jamie S

NJRC Member

Do you need to have it plugged into a laptop or pc to get the readings?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Do you need to have it plugged into a laptop or pc to get the readings?

So they way it works is you need the Seneye to be connected to a pc or a laptop.
You can use the app to see your numbers and get notification.
The app works with Apple.

I have it connected to one of these usb computer sticks and it works perfect.

PC Stick Mini Computer Stick with Intel Atom Z8350 & Windows 10 Pro 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Support 4K HD,Dual Band WiFi 2.4G/5G, Bluetooh 4.2,Support Auto-On After Power Failure AIOEXPC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G1CCWN...abc_ME4KW0Z1Y53RRJ4MZ4XN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 4260F7A7-EE3A-45D7-AEE6-1AA09ADFDBB4.png
    4260F7A7-EE3A-45D7-AEE6-1AA09ADFDBB4.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4