• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Return pump recomendation

Trying to get my plumbing plan in order and can't decide on a return pump. This is for a Tech 90. Need some recomendations for a submersible pump. I have a Mag 9.5 but I don't think that will do it. Here's the setup.

returnpump.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When we were feeding a 1200gph overflow (sounds like what you're doing there) we needed to use a Mag 12 with a Mag 18 impeller (result was a Mag ~15). Since you'll want to manifold you'd need the full 18, though I think a pressure rated pump would be better suited to the application (manifold).

So a pressure rated pump roughly 1800gph. ;D

Has your wife seen that drawing?!

I agree with Phyl, I use a mag18 currently. It is useless in a manifold scenario. You really should use a pressure rated pump. Have yet to find a submersible one. So come spring time I'm going to switch to an external pump.

I was affraid of that. Guess I'll have to come up with another plan. An external pump really won't work in my plans. No space for that and other equipment.

what would be the name of a good external pressure rated pump for a system like that, planning my 125 upgrade, and i am having similar thoughts

REEFLECTIONS said:
what would be the name of a good external pressure rated pump for a system like that, planning my 125 upgrade, and i am having similar thoughts

Iwaki, Pan World or even the Reeflo series will work. Just look at the max head ratings. Typically anything with a max head over 20 ft would probably be pressure rated.

If I can make the room for an external pump, what size bulkhead would I need to put in the sump? 1", 1.5"?

That would really depend on the size of the pump you use. But if you went with 1.5" you can always reduce it to whatever size you need.

Go with a genx 40 or 50 lower wattage than other pumps and has a high head rateing. if your sump isn't drilled you can use it over the rim method. I have mine plumbed that way and been using it over a year with no problems, it's also plumbed from the basement to the 1st floor this way, which is about 18'

Here's a old pic from when I first set the tank up

100_0578.jpg

Mott,

I can't see from picture but how do you prime it with the over the rim method? It doesn't have enough power to be self priming does it?

I don't mind drilling the sump, that's why I asked what bulkhead size. Gen-x is one recomendation, who makes the quietest most efficient pump? Gen-X, Iwaki, Poseidon,Pan-World, etc?

calaxa said:
Mott,

I can't see from picture but how do you prime it with the over the rim method? It doesn't have enough power to be self priming does it?

The srew cap, fill the pipe with water put the cap back on and then it will prime it's self.

sgarron said:
I don't mind drilling the sump, that's why I asked what bulkhead size. Gen-x is one recomendation, who makes the quietest most efficient pump? Gen-X, Iwaki, Poseidon,Pan-World, etc?

Genx uses the least energy out of all of them and is pretty quiet.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks good. Only thing is that I'd put the excess into the section where the drain lines enter the sump. Otherwise you'll be feeding bubbles to your display.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What are the infeed and outflow sizes on the pump? If they're 3/4", I'd say you're OK with the 1" bulkhead and feed lines. If they're 1", I'd step your lines to 1.5". You really want to flood the pump with more water than it can use on the infeed side. On the out flow side, you want to carry that larger size as far as you can to reduce head loss due to friction.

Phyl said:
Looks good. Only thing is that I'd put the excess into the section where the drain lines enter the sump. Otherwise you'll be feeding bubbles to your display.

Thanks, Phyl Didn't think of that.

JohnS_323 said:
What are the infeed and outflow sizes on the pump? If they're 3/4", I'd say you're OK with the 1" bulkhead and feed lines. If they're 1", I'd step your lines to 1.5". You really want to flood the pump with more water than it can use on the infeed side. On the out flow side, you want to carry that larger size as far as you can to reduce head loss due to friction.

If I go with that pump, they are 1". Stepping it up to 1.5" is no problem. Thanks.

We are running a mag 9.5 on our oceanic 90 bowfront and it works perfectly we haven't had any issues with heat tank stays around 78 degrees

adesimone1 said:
We are running a mag 9.5 on our oceanic 90 bowfront and it works perfectly we haven't had any issues with heat tank stays around 78 degrees

It's not about heat. I need a pressure rated pump to run a manifold return system. If it was just for the return a mag 9 would be great. Thanks.