• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

return pump - which one??

I need to buy a new pump for a basement sump. I’ve looked at the following and I’m trying to get some opinions on what people like, or more particularly, which one(s) to not to get….

Reefflo: looks good but pricey
Gen-x: heard they are noisy
BlueLine: I think I read something about it adding heat?
Iwaki: heard they are the best
Pan World: similar to Iwaki

Bob

Dont think youll be unhappy with either one. All top of the line pumps. I think the reeflo will be more effecient. But the iwaki more of a workhorse. I have one thats around 12 years old and still going strong

It depends on how much flow you need and how much head pressure you have. I ran Iwaki pumps on my reef for 12 years before I sold them off. They are very dependable and dirt cheap when taking into account life cycle costs. But they use more energy than a Reeflo.

i thought bluelines were iwaki's but made in america?

i also thought (perhaps internet urban legend) that the japanese models were better than the us made ones?

I have many Sequence pumps and mine have all run very well. I have cracked a volute on one, MDM replaced it for free. I have not had any bearing issues, but others have. MDM has been good service wise in repairing the bearing issues too.

I also have several Pan Worlds, they are bullet proof!

When pressure counts, I use a Pan World, for flow a Sequence.

JM2C 8)

As mentioned, all your choices are good. I personally use Reeflo because of the efficiency. May cost you an extra dollar up front, but compared to some of them, you make it up in electric costs down the road. Depending on what else your running, electric bills can get up there for reef tanks. Every watt counts ;)

Hawkeye said:
i thought bluelines were iwaki's but made in america?

i also thought (perhaps internet urban legend) that the Japanese models were better than the us made ones?

There is iwaki japan and iwaki American, both iwaki but the japan is suppose to be better and it cost more than the comparable iwaki American. Blue line is comparable to iwaki because their engineer use to be the head of iwaki, supposedly ? As far as pan world... they are identical to blueline as far as looks cause i have both but i don't know about the guts

Looks like Blueline is made by Pan World – and they do look identical. And these were designed by one of the designers of the iwaki pimps oops pumps??
From what I can tell, Iwaki has Japanese motors or American but only for the sizes below the 55.
The sweetwater looks like them too but a different paint job. I’ll check these out. From the little online pictures, they all look the same. :) But more importantly, no one has said, don’t get xx….. I guess I’m safe on any of these.

Bob

DON'T GET THE GEN X is sounds like a jet is landing on the house i can hear the thing from the otherside of the house. I'v been a fan of iwaki japan noters for a while i have on my main tank the american moters are alittle louder. on a tank i started a couple months ago i picked up a panworld and the sound is as quit as the iwaki japan motor and has a siltily hire flow rate. if you get a panworld don't tighten the fitting to tight. :) :)

I ended up getting the iwaki 55 at The Hidden Reef sale on saturday. I'll install over Thanksgiving weekend. Hopefuly, its enough...
:)
Bob