• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Return to Reefing IM 20 Fusion

Hey everybody! I'm returning to reefing after being out since 2009 when I ran a 55g. That was back when I was still in high school, I was a member with NJRC back in the day. I got the itch to come back after being cooped up all winter with COVID. Been learning everything new that's come to the hobby by watching BRStv videos. Hoping to do everything the right way this time instead of learning as I go like i did back in the day.

PXL_20210208_164841197.jpg

The 20 IM Fusion Pro is set up on my home office desk so I interact with the tank every day, hoping that keeps me honest about maintenance schedule. So far I love the tank as far as dimensions and quality go for a nano all-in-one. I didn't have the space for a sump so the features from the Fusion made the decision for me. I was also looking at the Waterbox 25 but there were less compartments in the back for add ons later. I want to keep the clean look of the AIO as much as possible

Equipment List:

IM Fusion 20
Stock MightyJet Return Pump
AI Prime 16
Nero 3 Powerhead
Finnex Temperature Controller
InTank Media basket x 2
Kasa Smart Powerstrip for control

Running carbon and Chemipure blue for chemical filtration, Marinepure balls for bio, and filter floss for mechanical. I'm considering whether I will end up adding a skimmer, looking at the Icecap K1 Nano, and possibly the IM UV sterilizer that fits right in the back. I plan to dose using all for reef 1-part solution.

The tank has been cycling for 2 weeks, I just added two juvenile clowns and will let it go another week or two before adding cleaners. I haven't decided what my fish stocking will be yet open to suggestions for cool nano fish.

PXL_20210215_160349039.jpg

I'm really proud of the scape I made using Caribsea Shapes rock. The arches and caves glued together into something really cool. I plan to set a Zoa garden on the right side rock, then do mostly LPS for the rest of the tank. Ill try some basic SPS on the top of the arch but that won't really be my focus here.

Really excited to be back in the hobby and hopefully do everything right this time. Looking forward to hopefully meeting the local reefing community once Covid is really under control at long last.

PXL_20210216_203825423._exported_1732_1613693804878.jpg

PXL_20210216_203854199._exported_900_1613693948554.jpg

PXL_20210219_123125639.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Love the tank and the rock work!!!! Welcome back to NJRC. Hope to one day meet you at one of our get together once covid is behind us.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
if i had a tank next to my desk, i would probably wouldnt get any work done. nice setup!

if i had a tank next to my desk, i would probably wouldnt get any work done. nice setup!
It is easy to look over there a bit too much I agree. I was worried about light spill so close to me all day but I angled the Prime ever so slightly away from me.

Thanks for the positive feedback everybody. I did a full round of testing today because I got in a Nyos nitrate test. I'll buy the Red Sea Ca, Mg, and Alk test kit combo once I'm almost ready for corals. Maybe a hanah checker too

SG: 1.026
Ph: 8.1
Alk: 9.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 3
Phosphate .05

Tank seems to be adjusting to the first fish well after the fishless cycle. I think Im gonna pick up a cleaner shrimp and a few hermits later this week and hold off another week before more fish. I'm considering a Bangai, a watchmen goby or algae eating blenny. Not sure much I can go with a tank this size in terms of fish.

3 month update. Things have been going well so far. Stocked the tank with a bunch of frags over the past few months. Finally invested in a yellow and orange filter so I can post pictures.

I've been dosing vibrant as a preventative no nuisance algea and it's been working really well. Talk is spotless and coraline is starting to come in. Keeping nitrates at 1-2 phosphates at 0.1-0.2 and all at 8.5-9. Weekly 5g water changesIMG_20210427_185728_690.jpgIMG_20210427_185728_766.jpgIMG_20210427_185729_064.jpgIMG_20210427_185728_839.jpg

Looking good. Nice torch. Keep it up. I would try to knock down the phosphates to under .1 for the mixed reef. I’m between .03-.05. Can b done slowly over time. I use Rowaphos in a reactor, water changes and a Lil brightwell phosphate e.

Agreed on the phosphate. I had been using reef roids but I heard they increase phosphate a lot. So I'm pulling back on that and it should sort out over the next few water changes.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I wouldn't chase any numbers.. your tank is stunning... if the corals are extending and colored your phosphates are not bothering them.

my post was only a comment and a suggestion based on personal experience. Lower phosphate .03 has shown better coloration and more coral growth in my system. Higher phosphate can inhibit coral growth over time . I don’t know the exact threshold, but a phosphate lvl of .2 is elevated for a reef system. Also mentioned stability and corrections over time to get a parameter within a range that yields a lot of positive benefits.

I think you're both right. I won't be "chasing" numbers per se. I'm going to let it come down over time, I'm doing pretty substantial wc every week, not gonna go crazy and add a bunch of GFO. But I do think I was running it too high, I had a couple weekly measurements between .15 and .2.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I think you're both right. I won't be "chasing" numbers per se. I'm going to let it come down over time, I'm doing pretty substantial wc every week, not gonna go crazy and add a bunch of GFO. But I do think I was running it too high, I had a couple weekly measurements between .15 and .2.
I run my tank anywhere from .03 to .1 no issues

Need some help with an algae ID. This stuff came hitched on a zoa frag from LFS there are two types that I can't seem to get rid of. The tank is doing well outside of these spots. There isn't a pervasive algae problem elsewhere on the rocks. The Green stuff in the foreground completely choked out the zoa it came in on. It's wavy. The purple stuff in the background is some kind of macro algae it's very turfy and clings the the rock when I try to pick it off.

I have been dosing vibrant every other week to no avail with this stuff. I also have a lawnmower blenny but he's not interested in eating either of these. Tank parameters are in line Nitrates 1 Phos 0.03. thanks!
PXL_20210924_170040683.MP.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
the green one could be bryopsis. Does it look like a fern? You can give the frag a hydrogen peroxide dip which algae hates yet safe for the zoa.
If it’s bryopsis, you will want to remove each strand and root with tweezers before the dip.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Agree, with Diana. You should see the algae bubble and melt away when using peroxide.

Thanks! I was afraid it was bryopsis. I'll do my best to pluck it out and dip. Definitely want to keep it from spreading The other stuff is most likely macro?