• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Rickyrooz's 120 Gallon Mixed Reef

I want to share my 120 gallon mixed reef aquarium that is currently over three years old.

FTS
FTS7-17-2009web.jpg

Some Acan's
RedAcansweb.jpg

Montezuma's Revenge Zoa's
FireIceZoaweb.jpg

Neon Green Branching Hammer
GreenHammerweb.jpg

arvin

NJRC Member
Rickyrooz said:
I want to share my 120 gallon mixed reef aquarium that is currently over three years old.

Hey, you got a really awesome tank!!! Keep it up.

How many Koralias do you have in the tank?

Arvind said:
Rickyrooz said:

Hey, you got a really awesome tank!!! Keep it up.

How many Koralias do you have in the tank?

I have two Koralia 4's and one Koralia Nano.

john90009

NJRC Member
love the tank cant wait to see it some day- seems like you made it over to here very easily- you thinking of going all t-5?

john90009 said:
love the tank cant wait to see it some day- seems like you made it over to here very easily- you thinking of going all t-5?

Thanks, I don't plan to go all T5. I like the shimmer of the MH's. MH's with T5's give the me the best color and growth.

john90009

NJRC Member
yes good idea i wish metal halides wernt expensive to run i just want the shimmer but im stuck with t-5 cause its cheaper then running 2 250's

john90009 said:
yes good idea i wish metal halides wernt expensive to run i just want the shimmer but im stuck with t-5 cause its cheaper then running 2 250's

A watt is a watt. 500watts of metal halides is going produce as much heat as 500 watts of T5's and use just as much electricity. Two 400w MH's vs. ten 80w T5's are going to use the same amount of electricity. The MH's will add less heat because they will be higher off the waters surface than the T5's. Most T5's are 4-5" above the water, MH's are 10-14" off the water.

john90009

NJRC Member
for the t-5 i have 6 54 watt so its around 350 watts im not to sure if 175's would be strong enough but the 250 would be over kill cause it would be 500 watts.

john90009 said:
for the t-5 i have 6 54 watt so its around 350 watts im not to sure if 175's would be strong enough but the 250 would be over kill cause it would be 500 watts.

175w Iwasaki 65K MH's have higher PAR values than most 250w MH's.

I love this tank. When I first googled reef tanks this tank came up in my search for images. I believe it was on reefcentral? It has fueled my fire for reefing. Post additional pics of your setup if you can. -thanks

killab443 said:
I love this tank. When I first googled reef tanks this tank came up in my search for images. I believe it was on reefcentral? It has fueled my fire for reefing. Post additional pics of your setup if you can. -thanks

Thank you for the complements! You'll have to come for a visit if you do not live too far.

Yuma
Yuma1.jpg

ORA Green Birdsnest
ORA%2BBirdsnest%2B(web).jpg

Green Chromis
4chromis.jpg

Flame Scallop
FlameScallop01.jpg

This is a link from my blog, it documents the progression of my tank over the past three years.
http://rickysreef.blogspot.com/2009/11/tank-progression-shots.html