• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RIP Thompson's Tang

Subliminal

NJRC Member
IMG_2695.jpg

Wasn't expecting that, that's for sure!

Here's a picture of the tang when I first got him a few months ago:

IMG_2350.jpg

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow, that's terrible, and people say only carpets are fish eaters!

Do you know if it died first, or did the anemone actually eat it?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I've been battling ich for a while, and that fish was the only one affected, so I'm guessing he floated on in.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oh wow, that stinks. Sorry for the loss. I remember how psyched you were when you got it.

OK, I know this is a rather tarnished silver lining, but it's a cool pic . . .

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Someone at Manhattan Reefers said 'Sorry for the loss of your tang, but congrats on a healthy anemone!

Lol. I don't feel that bad. I've kind of figured it was coming for a while. That fish is the only one in the tank that was showing signs of ich..and has been for weeks. I was hoping garlic would pull him through, but no such luck.

Sorry for the loss but great pic!

Keep in mind if a fish had ich your tank now has it and other fish can get it.

Carlo

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Yeah, I know.

Right now I have a pair of clowns, a blue damsel and a domino in there. They all look healthy, and the tang has been showing ich for weeks now. Just too dang hard to get fish out of the tank!

I don't think i'm going to add any new fish for quite some time, so hopefully it'll have time to settle itself.

The other fish are healthy and stress free, so they *hopefully* won't get it.

Ich can go dormant for 6 months or more, it is virtualy impossible to get rid of it. Best thing to do is put on a UV filter to try and keep it in check.

Well ich doesn't go "dormant" per say but does stay active. It just may never hit the fish in proportions that you see. This isn't really a good thing however as the parasites will seek out the fish and attach themselves to the gill areas where you don't see it. This is one of the worst spots for the fish to get it. Just a note but when you see the dots on the fish you can be assured the gills have it too.

Without any type of treatment and without adding any new fish the parasites will usually die off in 10 to 11 months. UV can help as well as syphoning off the sandbed and rocks when ever you do a water change.

The sure fire way is to remove the fish and treat them seperately and let the display/system go fallow (without fish) for 6 weeks.

Carlo

Years ago, and I mean years ago, I had a achilles tang, it got ick everytime someone farted, they are notorius for this. (this was when I was fish only). Sorry for your loss.
Mike.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry about the loss of your fish. I was really hoping he'd pull through for you. In the long run keeping ich out of your tank is near to impossible. Best to shoot for happy, stress free, well fed fish. The rest should take care of itself.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Right now the tank has:

1 blue damsel
1 domino damsel
2 true percs
1 bta
2 cleaner shrimp
~20 turbo snails
~10 (someothertypeof) snails

15 or so corals

I think I'm going to let it stay that way for a while, see what happens without adding anything new for a while...maybe like 6 months.

Who knows. It's easier said than done, sometimes...;)