• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Rise of the Halides

da577359bda98614d39d0416251a60be.jpg

T5/radion hybrid for me. Not much better than 400 watt radiums but t5's are coloring up my SPS nicely.

Wow.... Do you have a thread going on anywhere i can stalk? lol

Thanks guys. The t5's really are amazing. I never had much experience with t5's but I'm sold now. The t5's are mainly for daylight growth. When the t5's kick off and the radions take over you get the best of both worlds in my opinion. But if I could handle the heat I would probably go back to halides.

Arce, actually yes I have a thread for the tank ,ironically it features my tank when it had halides over it a couple years ago.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Jay. What's ur bulb combo and lighting schedule on radions (w/ percentage of possible for the colors)

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
wanted to bump this up, as i am noticing more and more people going back to T5 and Halides.

I was actually at a fellow reefers home yesterday and he utilized 2 Kessil A350s, 8 Bulb ATI T5 Fixture and a 400w Metal Halide over a 380 gallon, i believe it was but could be bigger.

He told me that Metal Halide is more of a backup fixture but still, his SPS were some of the healthiest and most colorful colonies I have ever seen in person.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Just went back to MH a week ago, granted I am doing s hybrid led/MH setup.

i believe thats the sweet spot. a hybrid of either leds/t5, leds/halides or if you can, incorporate all three.

would love to know if you notice any noticeable changes to your corals after a few weeks Darren.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Obviously a lot of people are really not 100% happy with a all led set up. I am also leaning towards a t5 led combo I feel there are to many shadows with just a couple LEDs in the center of my tank.
Truth is if there was a way to get halides without the heat and mega electric bills that would be the way I would go. So far I havnt seen any tank look as good as halides, t5 or led.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Obviously a lot of people are really not 100% happy with a all led set up. I am also leaning towards a t5 led combo I feel there are to many shadows with just a couple LEDs in the center of my tank.
Truth is if there was a way to get halides without the heat and mega electric bills that would be the way I would go. So far I havnt seen any tank look as good as halides, t5 or led.

Rob, someone told me you had retros laying around, get those up and working ASAP! lol

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Ju you know those PR's they like to talk LOL

All kidding aside I do have a retro set thanks to Edwin he gives me all sorts of things to try out before pulling the trigger on a lot of costly stuff, thanks bud. Im just waiting to build a hood and still trying to figure how I will hang it.

Last edited:

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Just went back to MH a week ago, granted I am doing s hybrid led/MH setup.

Very cool. I'm sure the tank will look amazing. How many and what halides did you go with? Did you keep the vegas for your hybrid?

In truth triton is releasing a basically barebones fixture made with ati fans and parts with 4 t5 in it. You are free to drop in and led fixtures you want in between. It supports the popular ones like ai radions mazzaras and some Chinese brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
In truth triton is releasing a basically barebones fixture made with ati fans and parts with 4 t5 in it. You are free to drop in and led fixtures you want in between. It supports the popular ones like ai radions mazzaras and some Chinese brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This plus reefbrite is going to be releasing new fixtures with t5's and their leds in them. You can see them in the wwc coral farm thread. Saw them briefly at the dvrc swap Saturday. Think they will be out early 2015.

This plus reefbrite is going to be releasing new fixtures with t5's and their leds in them. You can see them in the wwc coral farm thread. Saw them briefly at the dvrc swap Saturday. Think they will be out early 2015.

I think that they already have MH reflectors with their leds on them. I've been kicking around the idea of supplementing my MH with led strips rather than t5s.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I'll definitely post to this thread on how this goes, but I'm expecting it to go really well. To answer Kevin's question, I have 3 Vega's staggered with 2 Reefbrite Hybrid fixtures and I am running 2 250 watt 6500K Iwasaki's. The theory is to get crazy growth and color from 12:00-6:00 and then have the pop from the Led's for night time viewing. We shall see.

7683.jpg

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
I'm not going halide but am ready to pull the trigger on some t5 retrofits. I have a 93 cube so they are going to have to be 2ft tubes. 2 or 4 bulbs. Currently running 2 hydras

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I'll definitely post to this thread on how this goes, but I'm expecting it to go really well. To answer Kevin's question, I have 3 Vega's staggered with 2 Reefbrite Hybrid fixtures and I am running 2 250 watt 6500K Iwasaki's. The theory is to get crazy growth and color from 12:00-6:00 and then have the pop from the Led's for night time viewing. We shall see.

7683.jpg

Sounds awesome man. Those reefbrite hybrid fixtures are really nice. Best of luck!