• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RO/DI units

I want to buy an RO/DI Unit.
I have seen a bunch for sale on Ebay.
Is there any units better than others or do they all do the same thing?
Do I need on with a storage tank? Has anyone bought on of these Ebay units.

Andy I bought mine from Ebay, from filtersdirect. Great product and you can not beat the price. Mine was a little more then $100 for a 5 stage 100GPD, you can price them out on Marine Depot or the like, you will not find a better price.

I did not buy a bladder bag (holding tank) as of yet, mine is hooked directly under my kitchen sink. I simply turn on the water supply and the out spout from the hose they supplied. You will see what I mean when you look at their product. I have mine drain into a rubbermaid container or 5 gallons HD buckets. Not the best set up but it works, until I remodel my laundry room and come up with something better.

Filtersdirect, bye the way had great customers service and I received my product quickly.

Bob

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Another FilterDirect buyer here. Ours is running along just fine with 0tds. We're pleased as punch with it. I also didn't get the holding tank. I'm filling 5g containers with it, not pouring drinking water. If you were going to use it for drinking water you'd get old waiting for a glass to fill, but filling a 5g container (or garbage can/rubbermaid, whatever) the pressure tank isn't necessary.

Go for it!

I too have a filters direct, a little over a year now, and I'm changing filters for the first time tonight. The only thing is in Hoboken, the water is already a little acid, so i have to buffer up the water after my ro/di filter before I add it to my auto topoff.

For those with the auction site systems, take a look at it to see if they came with the horizontal DI stage.

That is a fundamental configuration flaw common on retrofitted drinking water systems.

At a minimum, remove that stage from its clips and orient the DI stage vertically with bottom-up flow. A more efficient solution is to add a full size, refillable, vertical DI stage as an add on to these units.

Russ @ BFS

BuckeyeFieldSupply said:
For those with the auction site systems, take a look at it to see if they came with the horizontal DI stage.

That is a fundamental configuration flaw common on retrofitted drinking water systems.

At a minimum, remove that stage from its clips and orient the DI stage vertically with bottom-up flow. A more efficient solution is to add a full size, refillable, vertical DI stage as an add on to these units.

Russ @ BFS

After I turned my DI unit vertically a few months ago my TDS reading dropped from the 15-20 range to less than 5.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Is there any way to reduce the waste water production of RO units or in some way re-circulate some of the water back into the water supply for the RO Unit?

You want a waste to purified water ratio of about 4:1. The "waste water" really isn't waste - it is serving the purpose of flushing the membrane.

This time of year however as the tap water temperature drops from the factory spec 77 degrees, you'll often see that the waste to permeate ration goes up above 4:1.

What to do?

You have a couple of easy options.
1. Install an adjustable flow restrictor.
2. Buy a second capillary flow restrictor that you trim to length for winter water temperatures. Keep your original restrictor for when summer water temperatures are back.

Russ