• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RO/DI

I know we need to keep this politically correct, but are you kidding me? That thing. You might want to do some tests. jk.. However, that unit will provide water based on your TDS reading.. basically someone with a tds of 315 will probably get about 20 gallons out of it. If they are lucky. You must live in a very low tds area if you are getting 100-125 gallons of water. Very unlikely...

hurtback said:
this is the filter unit i use---54.00 for 3 filters after you have the unit already---and no waste water
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4484&N=2004+113775
steve

You would have to change this filter once a month on a system like mine (100 gal). Think about how much water has been wasted in production of this filter through all of the industrial steps it needed to manufacture it. And all those harmful byproducts that are going to pollute the water and air from the industry that was necessary to make them. And then once it has been used, an since there is a great probability that most of those filters won't be recharged, but will be discarded in the garbage, think about all those landfills filling with these filters.

:(

If you want to feel better about it, think how much water you are wasting every time you flush your toilet for "#1". You need only 1/6 of the water used. :( Or how much water you waste taking a shower (not by taking the shower ;D but the water that is not really used in the rinsing process). :( Watering the lawn? :-[ Taking a bubbly bath in a bathtub? :'( Washing your car? :mad:

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

and your point is?
everyone wastes water, everyone throws stuff away that doesnt degrade in the landfills...
i'm not going to debate you on what factories waste, thats not what i'm on this forum for, i was just talking like everyone else...
from what i see in my tanks, this filter works for me, right now,
when i go bigger and start with more corals then i'll look into, if i have to, a ro/di unit
thanks for the info tho
steve

Hey Steve,

It's a good thing to try and minimize wastewater. As you get going you might find that setup cost prohibitive.

You can get rechargeable resins, but that requires the use of some additional chemicals that present other issues.

Many folks with RO/DI units use the waste water to fill their washing machines or water their lawns and gardens.

hi ya blange3, your right, when i go bigger thats probably what i'll have to do, and good point, could always use that waste water for my wifes plants, garden and the lawn
oh, trees are doin good---thanks
steve

arvin

NJRC Member
hurtback said:
oh, trees are doin good---thanks

Hi ya Steve, this kind of sarcasm is unwarranted, especially to a person who offered you free frags a week ago.

Cheers,
Arvind.

Hey Arvin, the Trees are the frags, Kenya Tress!

Steve was being nice!

Thanks for sticking up for me, but it was a case of mistaken sarcasm! ;D

hey, everyone makes mistakes---no problem
i can understand another member sticking up for another member esp. when they think someone new is not being friendly
i do plan on attending , or start to attend meetings with this group, the 1 person i've meet so far, blange3, and the few who i've talked to online have been welcoming, esp the group talking bout collecting for our tanks down in belmar, something i've wanted to get back to doing, so, for now thanks again blange3, and hope to meet you guys/gals within the next couple of meetings...
steve

hurtback said:
this is the filter unit i use---54.00 for 3 filters after you have the unit already---and no waste water
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4484&N=2004+113775
steve

There's nothing wrong with that unit if you only need small amounts of water. It's basically the last stage in our RO/DI units. It uses DI resin. If you want to keep using it look into buying 5lb bags of DI resin. You'll get about 4 uses from a 5 gallon bag and the bag should cost you about $25 so that in itself will make it way cheaper.

You could also go to HD/Lowes and pickup an under the counter filter (kind that looks like one of the canisters on a RO/DI unit) and use this as stage one and then into your DI resin. This will easily double the usage of the DI resin.

I still have one of those around here and I put it to use. I added it as my 6th stage in my RO/DI unit. I now have multiple DI stages. It works really well as an cheap add-on to any RO/DI and it lasts a long, long time in this fashion since it only gets fed 0 to 1 tds water. It pretty much guarantees 0 tds this way. :)

Carlo

But in the long run sooner or later a real RO/DI unit is going to pay for itself over the use of just that alone (sooner).