• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

rr or not?

is there a difference in your tank between over the tank overflow and in the tank overflow? i have a 125 just sitting in the garage, not rr,but i'm looking into getting a 210 or 260. now, with any one of these tanks, over the top overflow will have that part of the overflow that hangs into the tank.and with a rr tank, you have an even bigger black box sitting in your tank, whether its in each corner or in the middle back of the tank.
Is there really a difference, besides looks, in how the different overflows work in keeping the tank clean
steve---nj

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Steve,

I would recommend a RR tank over a HOTB overflow. The RR are much less likely to fail on you and are usually more quiet (depending on the amount of flow you are putting through it)

I've used both and prefer the RR.

I completely agree with Reef... I had a 90 Gallon that I converted to a reef system and what a pain the buttocks that was.. It leaked twice and left 20 gallons from the sump on the floor.. I will never do a non RR system again. You end up spending and worrying twice as much...

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I never had a RR, so I can't compair.
I've had non RR tanks for over 25 years and never had a problem with the U tube HOTB overflows. The enclosed HOTB, gave me weekly floods till John and Phyl educated me better. No problems since. Thanks Phyl and John.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have 1 RR (180 tank/500g system) and 1 non-RR (65/10g sump). I wouldn't own a non-RR on purpose ever again. I think ideally I'd have an external overflow on my tank. That's the best of both worlds, IMO. No loss of tank real estate and without the risk of flooding

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl. What is the difference in a non RR and an external overflow? Thanks.

i've posted this question in 3 different forums, and so far , this is the only one that anybody has answered me, i like that, not having to wait for any responses
i'm somewhat of a new member, would very mush like to go to a meeting, just have to make the time i guess...
i'm using a HOTB overflow on my 55 gal---have'nt had a problem with it yet, and as far as the noise, yes,i do hear the water,but its really not the loud/noisy
with the 125 i have, i would have to drill holes in the tank, which i've never done, but have read enough online in the various forums that if i decided to do it, i dont think i would have a problem doing it, and if/when i get that bigger tank, i have 3 HOTB overflows that i could use.
also, you only see a small black box hanging in the tank, versus, a long black column in each corner

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
On the external overflow the tank itself has teeth cut into it that allow water to flow into the "built on" overflow box that is adhered to the outside of the tank. The drain lines come down off of that. So the teeth in the tank allow for gravity fed, no risk of failure, drain of the tank water above the teeth into the sump "below".

Best of both worlds. No overflow box taking up space in the tank and reduced risk of failure.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
On the external overflow the tank itself has teeth cut into it that allow water to flow into the "built on" overflow box that is adhered to the outside of the tank. The drain lines come down off of that. So the teeth in the tank allow for gravity fed, no risk of failure, drain of the tank water above the teeth into the sump "below".

Best of both worlds. No overflow box taking up space in the tank and reduced risk of failure.

Sounds perfect. Is that a DIY or do they come like that?

hurtback. Someones always here to help out and share their experience.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's how Brian's tank is done, Merv's too, I think. Tiler & 68 have both done DIY versions on tanks as well.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I want one. I'll have to check out Brians.

hurtback. I'll let you know how it is. Maybe we can do a project like that together.

thanks mikem and all the rest who have taken time to give their opinions
my hotb overflow have teeth cut into the top where the water overflows into it, then the big siphon tube draws it into the part on the back, then thru 2 hoses into the sump, and then its pumped back into the tank.
once i got the overflow ' primed' it hasnt failed yet, and we have had some power outages, which i just thought about right now, and never did the tank spill onto the floor

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just keep an eye on algea growth in the U tube. Or large snails.

Glad we can help.

a while back i got my hand on a tidepool sump and a tidepool HOTB overflow, and it also has teeth cut into the part that the water overflows into

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
jerseydiablo said:
I have a question,

Anyone ever fill up the inside part of an overflow with live rock?
good/bad idea? just wondering

I never thought of that. I'll be interested in seeing the responses too!

I have a question,

i got some marco rock a few weeks ago and theres some smaller pieces still in the box---will try that this weekend
steve

jerseydiablo said:
I have a question,

Hmmm - are you saying the tiny box for the HOB or are you talking about the RR big black thing in the tank?

For the former, I think a rock that high up would get too much light...plus you couldn't fit more than a small piece in that box.

For the latter - I'd be concerned about trapping nutrients. When I flash a flashlight up from underneath the tank the only thing I have down there is a wee bit of sand and a few amphipods/worms. I dunno if piling rocks in that section would really help and I don't think the flow down there is all that good.

phil519 said:
jerseydiablo said:
I have a question,

Hmmm - are you saying the tiny box for the HOB or are you talking about the RR big black thing in the tank?

For the former, I think a rock that high up would get too much light...plus you couldn't fit more than a small piece in that box.

For the latter - I'd be concerned about trapping nutrients. When I flash a flashlight up from underneath the tank the only thing I have down there is a wee bit of sand and a few amphipods/worms. I dunno if piling rocks in that section would really help and I don't think the flow down there is all that good.

Well, the overflow I meant is the RR inside the tank ones, not a hang on overflow. I've got plenty of flow going through mine.

I don't really see why adding a bunch of rubble rock (not to the top or anything but a nice amount) plus some hermits, snails, whatnot to keep detritus down can't or shouldn't be done. It'd basically just be an extension of your sump.

I have a RR 210, HOB 110, and prior to that HOB 40. My 40 was my reef until I upgraded to the 210. I had so many problems with that candy cane I didn't want a reef tank any more. My RR 210 is about 6 months old and I love it. It sits 1/2" away fron the wall so I can hide the wires from the hood, with a HOB that monstrosity of a tank would sit 6"+ away. Do you want to lose the real estate of the tank or the real estate of your living room. I never have to worry about air buuble in the candy cane anymore, much needed piece of mind. Yes you lose real estate of the tank, I see it as less live rock I had to pile against the back wall. Also it is a good place to put the Aquacontroller probes. My 110 is a different story. I want to now scrap that tank and buy a RR also. The only concern I have about that is the real estate, you see the 210 is 72X24, the 110 is 48X18. With the 18" depth I can see the concern of losing the 4" for the overflow. Im still going to to upgrade though. I like the idea that not only does the overflow skim the top of the water, but it also draws from the middle and the bottem of the tank. I have to say though that the only problem I had was that fish were finding thier way into the overflow. I bought some plastic gutter guard mesh and made a 6" wall along the top and never lost another fish down there again.
When I was doing research on this tank, one of the ideas was to fill those chambers with live sand to achieve the benefit of a RDSB, although live rock rubble will work as well for essentially a built in refugium. Its almost all wasted space anyway. Anyway, I have a 100gal refugium in the basement so I didnt need to go that route. Good luck!!