• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Rule of thumb question....

Hey everyone what is the rule of thumb for the following.

1.) One cup of salt mix per how many gallons of RO water?
2.) What is the rule of thumb for the size of pump for 72 gallon tank?
::: Currently I circulating 780 gallons Silent ONE pump. So I am filter the tank ten times an hour...
Is that to much???

3.) Has anyone used fans to cool a tank instead of using a chiller?

Satan's_Milkman thanks you.

:p :p :p ??? 8)

as far as the fan thing i used to use a chiller but i had a custom hood made which has the lights about 10" off the water i'm running 4 110 vho and 2 250 mhl on a 90 gallon i installed 2 3 by 3 computer fans my temp is 80 to 82 with lights on i'm looking into buying the new led light system the price is $2000.00 good luck with everything

1.) One cup of salt mix per how many gallons of RO water?

Depends on the salt mix, but I typically use 2 cups of salt for 4 gallons. your mileage may vary, but you can always go light and salt as needed.

2.) What is the rule of thumb for the size of pump for 72 gallon tank?

Trick question. LOL Turnover between your tank and sump can be anywhere from 1x to 10x per hour. Less is better because less microbubbles. And more time for skimmer / additional chemicals to react in the sump (carbon, phosguard, etc).

In the tank, turnover depends on your corals. 10x - 30x in tank is about average, 10x for softy and LPS, and 30x plus for SPS. Depends on the species though. I have seen some phenominal SPS tanks with 80x and more, but these are acro dominated "reef crest" type tanks.

3.) Has anyone used fans to cool a tank instead of using a chiller?

Yes, seen it and done it. Fans just facing down into the sump and fans across the surface of the water (the tank, not sump). Some setups it can lower the temps by 7 degrees or more! My 30g cube has a fan over the sump, and with the MH on it gets to 85, with the fan, 79.