• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RV and Marine hose?

Hello,

I recently moved my water change station to the garage. I found these marine hoses at lowes and they are lead free and drinking water safe. They mention a mold inhibitor on the inside of the hose. Will this be a problem? Does anyone use these hoses?

Thanks for the help,
Christine

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have been using and RV hose for close to 10 years for getting my make up water into the mixing barrels and have not had any problems. I also use a RV charcoal water filter on the end of the hose.

Thank you,

I looked at others online and they seem to all be anti-microbial. They do not go into detail on what they coat it with, so I'll play it safe with stinky vinyl.

I've never had vinyl tubing smell, but then again I don't think I've ever sniffed my tubing either.

I guess it depends on what you're using it for. If you're using it for the circulation the mold inhibitors might be a problem. But if you're using it like Pannamatt to just transfer water it may not be an issue since the mold inhibitors won't have a chance to leach into the water.

You could also try flexible PVC or Tygon silicone tubing.