• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Salinity assistance

I didn't read my refractometer correctly the other day, I was rushing, etc.. How do I bring up the salinity from 1.022 to 1.025 I considered topping off with salt water, but how long would it take to raise the level with 130-140 gallons with about a gallon a day. Would you use water made at 1.025 or would you go higher?

thanks

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
At 1 gallon a day, mixed up at 1.040 it would take you 19 days to get it up to 1.024 if you "changed" 1 gallon a day. It will go up slightly faster "evaping" rather than "changing", but probably only a by a couple of days, given the overall system volume.

You reduce that to 12 days by going up to 1.060 with the replacement water or forcing more evaporation using a fan over the sump (which may become necessary if the temps keep climbing like this).

I'd check every 4 days though just to validate the math.

when my salinity gets low I put a measuring cup full of salt in my sump and just let it dissolve throughout the day. I usually add one cup in the morning before work and another in the evening. Whatever you do don't panic 1.022 isn't that low, just make the changes slowly. Because as we all know "only bad things happen quickly in a reef tank."