• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Salinity

MadReefer

Vice President
Staff member
NJRC Member
Moderator
As stated been having issue with my tank and did a 25g WC two weeks ago and 10g WC this week. Parameters are in range except for Phos at 1. I added what little Rowaphos I had left to try and reduce it.
On R2R I posted as well and someone said to salinity. Well finally borrowed a new hobbyist refractometer and compared the reading to mine and now very confused.
Mine read 1.026 and the other read 1.017. That a huge gap so not sure if mine is wrong or the other person's. I tested both with filtered water and they read zero.
What's next? Test with another refractometer? Go by the new one? Toss in the towel and cut my losses....LOL

Any help appreciated.

Phos - 1
Nitrate - 10
Calc - 350, I bumped up dosage
Alk - 9.5
Mag - 1350
 

The Gooch

NJRC Member
Tropic Marin glass hydrometer is the one you trust. Standard refractometer will steer you wrong, especially when several different bottles of calibration fluid will read differently. Usually when somebody starts doing regular ICPs, they become aware of this. No matter what your opinion on what is best, it’s always best to have a second measure, and I would use the glass hydrometer to keep the other device honest.
 

MadReefer

Vice President
Staff member
NJRC Member
Moderator
I just ordered a new refractometer and will be here in a couple of days.

Thanks Chris.

Gooch, I thought about getting a float one to compare.
 
Get the Tropic Marin Pro hydrometer like mentioned above. I have a refractomter, 2 pinpoint salinty monitors and my Apex probe. They would ask read different even after calibrating. Went with the Hydrometer and only use the other stuff as a quick reference
 

Salted

NJRC Member
I just ordered a new refractometer and will be here in a couple of days.

Thanks Chris.

Gooch, I thought about getting a float one to compare.
If you're close to denville you're welcome to borrow my TM hydrometer. I rarely use it. For regular checking of salinity I use a Coral Vue swingarm, which I'm aware generates a lot of hate in the community. They're said to be inaccurate, but consistent, where as refractometers are inconsistent, but accurate - with the caveat of being calibrated correctly, and needing to be calibrated for every use. That's been my understanding. Mine continues to agree with my occasional comparisons against my TM so I will continue to use it.
 

MadReefer

Vice President
Staff member
NJRC Member
Moderator
So I am more confused now. I calibrated the new and old refractometer using distilled water as instructed. Both read my tam water at 1.027. Yesterday I started ATO with saltwater of same salinity, maybe 3g went in so far.
I used the borrowed refractometer to double check and it still shows my tank at 1.017. So I tested all 3 with distilled and all read zero and appear to be calibrated properly. The messed up part is I ordered Sun and its labeled ATC.
One I borrowed is exactly the same in appearance and also labeled ATC.
At this point I am lost because not sure which ones are reading properly.
 
Top