• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Salt advice? Nyos experience?

Just picked up a dos and an apex pro and trident on Black Friday deals. Wanting to look into trying to set up an auto water change system but I don’t believe the salt I’m using is recommended to be stored (Red Sea coral pro) so I’ve been looking into switching.

I’m intrigued by the nyos pure salt but there is almost zero information or YouTube videos about it.

I also was recommended to look into esv but that makes me a little nervous because I don’t want to screw it up with mixing.

And lastly was tropic Marin but that seems to run alk a little lower than I like. I want to run my alk around the 8-10 mark but probably closer to 9. If I’m dosing my tank to 9 and you add water that us around 7 how much fluctuation does that cause with your alk?

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I personally use instant ocean salt as its readily available but i have recently switched to red sea blue bucket since its the closest salt that matches the parameters I like to keep. IO/RC salt usually has higher numbers but when changing water in larger volume tanks it really doesn't matter but when doing 5 gallon water changes on a smaller nano like I have now it greatly effects the numbers hence why i switched.

Also, I find it weird the red sea salt would have issues being stored. if you plan on using up the salt within a week or 2, i don't think it would be an issue.

at the end of the day, salt is salt and 99% of what’s available will work with corals, fish and other saltwater marine life.

I would go with something that is readily available locally so incase you’re in a bind you can grab one at your LFS.

I personally use instant ocean salt as its readily available but i have recently switched to red sea blue bucket since its the closest salt that matches the parameters I like to keep. IO/RC salt usually has higher numbers but when changing water in larger volume tanks it really doesn't matter but when doing 5 gallon water changes on a smaller nano like I have now it greatly effects the numbers hence why i switched.

Also, I find it weird the red sea salt would have issues being stored. if you plan on using up the salt within a week or 2, i don't think it would be an issue.

at the end of the day, salt is salt and 99% of what’s available will work with corals, fish and other saltwater marine life.

I would go with something that is readily available locally so incase you’re in a bind you can grab one at your LFS.
I watch a lot of brs investigates and they have a video on their YouTube that examines all the different salt mixes and the coral pro salt they said starts at around 11-12 dkh and then after a few weeks drops to around 8 iirc. Which 8-9 is where I’m starting to think I want to keep my tank at but I’m not entirely sure how doing an auto water change would work out with water that starts that high and then ends that “low”in regards to alk swings especially on a smaller tank.