• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Salt Analysis

Re: Without starting a WAR

I won't tell you what salt to use. But I will mention that this test mixed a fixed amount of salt mix to a fixed amount of water and not a mix to achieve the SG you would desire to use in your tank.

The point being, you cannot just look at the individual numbers and compare. This method will give you an idea of the difference in the amounts of various salts to use, and with the addition of a price per gram, you could get a comparison to cost, but it's going to take a little more work to figure out how they all compare when they are mixed to 35 points of salinity.

If you follow the thread on this on RC you'll see I was the one who originally was putting this together but then other people got involved and it was independant anymore. Heck the company that did the testing also manufactures salt and that's a NO NO for testing. :)

While you can get some info from it they blew it with the testing methods.

Carlo

blange3 said:
I won't tell you what salt to use. But I will mention that this test mixed a fixed amount of salt mix to a fixed amount of water and not a mix to achieve the SG you would desire to use in your tank.

The point being, you cannot just look at the individual numbers and compare. This method will give you an idea of the difference in the amounts of various salts to use, and with the addition of a price per gram, you could get a comparison to cost, but it's going to take a little more work to figure out how they all compare when they are mixed to 35 points of salinity.

haha. That's why I wanted someone else to read it and tell me the answer.... too much work for me to figure out.

Nice try!

I can only speak to my own experience.

I have used Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals and Tropic Marin.

I have had to do some supplementation with all of them. A little more on the ALk and a little less on the Mag since I made the last switch to Tropic Marin from Reef Crystals.

Tropic Marin is the easiest to mix, costs more, but I have experienced improved growth and color since switching.

Totally unscientific, but I'm happy! ;D

I was using Pro Reef but about 8 months ago switched to this
http://www.gettankedaquariums.com/i...cial.Sea.Salt.2.Part.Gallon.Mix.Main.Page.htm
Much cheaper and my tank has never looked better. In fact I have jus place an order for 6 more bags. the nice thing about it is you can get it in any size water change you do 10, 20, 30 gal etc. just use the whole bag and it comes up perfect at .026 every time. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read up on it.

There are lots of readings online but I happen to like the readings over at Reefkeeper and ReefCentral.

Calcium
Alkalinity
Magnesium

Aquatic Gardens

CoraLife

Instant Ocean

Kent

Oceanic

OceanPure

Red Sea

Red Sea Coral Pro

Reef Crystals

SeaChem Marine Salt

SeaChem Reef Salt

Tropic Marin

Tropic Marin Pro Reef

I have recently purchased Seachem Reef Salt and tested it. My parameters for the first time started my DKH at a 10, SG was 1.024, PH was 8.28 and calcium was 460 in my tank after usage. The reading of my calcium was 390 before this due to using Coral Pro Reef Salt the week earlier with a SG of 1.020 to bring down my SG in the tank from 1.026. Not that it needed to be brought down, but I prefer it around 1.024 due to evap. I really like the seachem reef salt alot. This means the Calcium was right up there in the 500 range.

I'm not sure where these numbers came from but they look like billybeu1 numbers and he his reported numbers are always way high.

Carlo

My chemistry is off as well but my math is pretty good and my math says it's really expensive.

I would love to try a new salt but I'm not sure which is the route to go.

RichT said:
Based on your limited testing, what is the better salt?

I've done pretty extensive testing on most of the main stream salts. I only did limited testing on the zeovit salt. Basically just checked the big ions in this particular salt and didn't see why it was worth more except for the name on the bucket. The couple of batches I checked didn't have anywhere near the potassium level they claimed it had which was the main "Draw" for many people switching to it.

Remember this is only my opinion (so I can't be wrong on my opinion) :)

Of all the mainstream salts I personally think Seachem Reef Salt is the best across the board for reef tanks. Some people don't like it because it has elevated boron but that doesn't bother me in the least. Boron helps the tank hold a higher pH and I don't know many people who have a problem with naturally high pH. :) The boron is about 3 times higher then NSW but NO WHERE near anything toxic so it's a "good design" in my book.

What I especially liked about this salt compared to most is the potassium levels which are very hard for the average user to test. It had more potassium then any other salt I tested and was actually at NSW levels (410 ppm) unlike every other salt I tested which came up short (many as low as 250 ppm). The new Red Sea Pro would probably take 2nd slot IMHO based on salt analysis.

From the standpoint of using right out of the bucket for a reef tank I find Instant Ocean among the worst and don't care much for Reef Crystals either (but it's better). It's pretty evident to me they use very cheap salts and then "bind" them with various chellators so things don't test unless the bond is broken down.

Carlo

mynd said:
There are lots of readings online but I happen to like the readings over at Reefkeeper and ReefCentral.

Calcium
Alkalinity
Magnesium

Aquatic Gardens

CoraLife

Instant Ocean

Kent

Oceanic

OceanPure

Red Sea

Red Sea Coral Pro

Reef Crystals

SeaChem Marine Salt

SeaChem Reef Salt

Tropic Marin

Tropic Marin Pro Reef

I have recently purchased Seachem Reef Salt and tested it. My parameters for the first time started my DKH at a 10, SG was 1.024, PH was 8.28 and calcium was 460 in my tank after usage. The reading of my calcium was 390 before this due to using Coral Pro Reef Salt the week earlier with a SG of 1.020 to bring down my SG in the tank from 1.026. Not that it needed to be brought down, but I prefer it around 1.024 due to evap. I really like the seachem reef salt alot. This means the Calcium was right up there in the 500 range.

I just recently switched salts from oceanic to seachem and after testing i found my tests to be consistent with mynds. So +1 for Seachem.

Can someone explain to me why you would want to use a salt with paramaters so much higher than normal sea levels? Also there is another reading that is just as important as what has been posted. What is the PH reading in all those salts?

Ask Seachem if they use these....

Did you know that artificial sea salt ingredients will absorb moisture from the air if not treated with some kind of anti-caking agent?

This is why commercial sea salt manufactures have to use some type of anti-caking agent, also known as free flowing agent to keep their salt mix from clumping-up or getting moist in their machinery. The most commonly used anti-caking agent is YPS (Yellow Prussiate of Soda) which has a side ingredient of a type of Cyanide.

Here is another interesting thing that SOME commercial sea salt manufactures are doing. Some are adding EDTA (EthyleneDiamineTetraacetic Acid) a chemical that makes your sea salt mix appear to dissolve quicker. High levels of EDTA can be toxic in the aquarium.

Here are you ideal numbers.....

Magnesium Values: 1250 - 1350 mg/L, Calcium Values: 380 - 450 ppm, Alkalinity Values: 3 - 5 meg/L or 8 - 11 dKH, pH Values: 8.1 - 8.4, Borate/Boron Values: 4.5 mg/L, Salinity Values: 1.026 SG or 35 PPT, Iodide Values: 0.03 – 0.06 ppm, Strontium Values: 10 and 15 mg/L.