• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Salt Analysis

A little about EDTA.....See if Seachem uses it. Or any other salt for that matter.

Recalcitrant chelating agents such as EDTA are an environmental concern predominantly because of their persistence and strong metal chelating properties. The presence of chelating agents in high concentrations in wastewaters and surface waters has the potential to remobilize heavy metals from river sediments and treated sludges, although low and environmentally relevant concentrations seem to have only a very minor influence on metal solubility. Low concentrations of chelating agents may either stimulate or decrease plankton or algae growth, while high concentrations always inhibit activity. Chelating agents are nontoxic to many forms of life on acute exposure; the effects of longer-term low-level exposure are unknown. EDTA at elevated concentrations is toxic to bacteria due to chelation of metals in the outer membrane. EDTA ingestion at high concentrations by mammals changes excretion of metals and can affect cell membrane permeability.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Re: Without starting a WAR

paintman27 said:
I was using Pro Reef but about 8 months ago switched to this
http://www.gettankedaquariums.com/i...cial.Sea.Salt.2.Part.Gallon.Mix.Main.Page.htm
Much cheaper and my tank has never looked better. In fact I have jus place an order for 6 more bags. the nice thing about it is you can get it in any size water change you do 10, 20, 30 gal etc. just use the whole bag and it comes up perfect at .026 every time. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read up on it.

This looks VERY interesting to me. I like their 12 bag special, since I do 5g water changes every week.

Anyone else hear anything about these guys? They don't seem to be too far away, either...

I have been using this salt for about 4 months now. I am really happy with all my parameters. I have tried numerous salts from IO to Tropic Marin pro and this is by far the best. I also have also been using all the other products from him and are equally impressed.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you are copy and pasting from another site, please cite the source.